Article Ongoing efforts to reduce lake trout in Yellowstone Lake

creekx

spent spinner
Yup...Canyon Ferry near Helena has gone from a “catch & kill” walleye policy to hosting walleye tournaments.

I like walleye as much as the next guy, but not at the expense of trout.
States should ban tournaments where species were introduced illegally. It's terrible that they can illegally create a fishery and then be rewarded with recreational and financial benefits from it.

Yup...Canyon Ferry near Helena has gone from a “catch & kill” walleye policy to hosting walleye tournaments.

I like walleye as much as the next guy, but not at the expense of trout.
I used to fish trout at Canyon Ferry. I haven't been in a decade. I like walleye too, but they are FAR from my favorite SPORT fish. Too often it's hard to tell if I'm reeling in a fish or a boot.

Old406Kid

Same type of dimwits that have illegally planted walleye, bass and northern pike all over the west. We can also thank the USFWS for the lakers being readily available in nearby Lewis Lake. They introduced them in 1890. It was just a matter of time...
That makes more sense as I couldn't think of a body of water close enough to make it feasible.

Shopkeeper

I used to fish trout at Canyon Ferry. I haven't been in a decade. I like walleye too, but they are FAR from my favorite SPORT fish. Too often it's hard to tell if I'm reeling in a fish or a boot.
Exactly… I haven’t been to Canyon ferry but once in about 10 or 12 years… Used to go every spring at ice-off and catch big rainbows.

That died a while ago.

jamma

Well I had to ask about those fish.

I don't think you could ever poison that lake to get rid of those unwanted lake trout. It's a pretty big body of water.
Diamond Lake in Oregon is fairly large but responded to the Rotenone treatment pretty well although I've heard the tui chub are starting to show up again.

Diamond lake at 1500 acres and a max depth of 64 feet is a pond compared to Yellowstone lake at 87,000 acres and average depth of 139 feet. This is aside from the fact that Yellowstone lake is dead center in our greatest national park. Diamond also doesn't have the many inlets and an outlet that Yellowstone has. Would appear impossible to eradicate the lake (and cutthroat) trout population with poison. The park seem to doing a great job of mitigating this man-made disaster the current approach.

Same type of dimwits that have illegally planted walleye, bass and northern pike all over the west. We can also thank the USFWS for the lakers being readily available in nearby Lewis Lake. They introduced them in 1890. It was just a matter of time...
Novel that you blame USFWS for the planting since they did not exist in 1890. The US Fish Comission was the federal agency responsible, they are also responsible for planting brown and brook trout everywhere and planting rainbow trout east of the Rockies. So if we knew then what we knew now frogs would not bump their butts when they hop.

jwg

Removal of an unwanted species of fish from a lake is never easy but I'm aware of a few where netting the evil fish has worked. If netting doesn't work there's always the extreme approach that involves killing everything in the lake and starting over. Obviously you'd only want to use poison in a close lake so that route is one of last resort and quite extreme.

Considering the size of Yellowstone Lake I'm surprised that the netting approach is working so well but I'm glad it is.
I think they target spawning beds seasonally
Jay

creekx

spent spinner
Novel that you blame USFWS for the planting since they did not exist in 1890. The US Fish Comission was the federal agency responsible, they are also responsible for planting brown and brook trout everywhere and planting rainbow trout east of the Rockies. So if we knew then what we knew now frogs would not bump their butts when they hop.
Novel that you zero in on that technicality when they are in essence the same group. In a thread about illegal fish introduction it was important to note that our own government had a hand in it.

Novel that you zero in on that technicality when they are in essence the same group. In a thread about illegal fish introduction it was important to note that our own government had a hand in it.
Since that particular post was only about blaming the incorrect agency for the original plant into Lewis Lake, yes. You also seem to confuse the original plant with an illegal introduction of lake trout. As I said in the last sentence, if we knew then what we know now the original plant would not have occurred. I don't condone the bucket biologists out there, they have ruined a lot of excellent fisheries with their mis-guided attempts to get what they want.

Last edited:

Latest posts