NFR Subaru Head Gaskets

PhilR

In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey
They told me that they had dealt with it when I bought my ‘12- but then that’s what you’d expect them to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwg

Hope it's fixed on the newer models; I'm driving a 2014 Outback now. Head gasket went in my 2000 Outback, I'm not sure when, but I still drove it for 200,000 otherwise trouble free miles. Oh, except when the transmission locked up one time; that was unexpected and spendy.
Same question for me, wondering if this is still a "thing".
Have a 2016 Outback for my wife, and my daughter in Seattle just got a 2016 Impreza.

Was thinking to get something in the Suburu line for myself, we love the Outback.

jay

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
Just be glad that it had a gasket.

When I bought my S-10 I kept trying to get a coolant leak fixed under warranty. It went various dealers three of four time (dealers kept going bankrupt). Finally, I asked the service....how hard can it be to replace a gasket. He sighed and said...."your truck doesn't have gaskets it is a spray on foam product.

About five years later I was talking to a Chevy mechanic about my S-10 and he asked how many miles I had on the engine. I told him almost 100,000 and his comment was "On the original engine???". Seems that coolant leak resulted in blown engines right and left. GM charged me $500 to fix their design fault.

He also told me that my truck was half metric and half English. GM was changing the bolts as they were assembling the truck....so I needed a VIN number for everything...even the mirrors.

GM worked really hard to sell me "A" truck. That they did.

Never bought another GM product.

The one advantage of the internet is you pretty much can figure out what is going to go wrong with your car. My Honda Pilot has a flashing light that says my transmission will blow in less than 200 miles. That was five years and 40,000 miles ago. Nobody has figured out why the light flashes.

Last edited:

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
132,250 on my '04 Forester, and after reading through this thread, I'm almost afraid to take it in for a checkup, now!
I had the 90,000 mile service done on it at around 99,999 and the mechanic (local, not a Subaru tech) changed the head gasket and oxygen sensor, and the engine and transmission oils, and checked out everything on his shop diagnostic computer. Other seals and boots looked good then. Been running smoothly, except for noticeable small shimmy at certain high speeds.I need to have the alignment and wheel balance checked. Exhaust system suddenly sounds a bit louder, too. I need to check that out.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
132,250 on my '04 Forester, and after reading through this thread, I'm almost afraid to take it in for a checkup, now!
I had the 90,000 mile service done on it at around 99,999 and the mechanic (local, not a Subaru tech) changed the head gasket and oxygen sensor, and the engine and transmission oils, and checked out everything on his shop diagnostic computer. Other seals and boots looked good then. Been running smoothly, except for noticeable small shimmy at certain high speeds.I need to have the alignment and wheel balance checked. Exhaust system suddenly sounds a bit louder, too. I need to check that out.
I know that being retired you can always get to it later. But getting to it later never seems to work. The getting louder, they will think you have a good set of pipes.

scottybs

Lots of replies guys, thanks, mechanic offered me $4k for the vehicle, 90k+valves+timing belt wouldnt bug me, just merely the damn head gasket. I’m hoping for a response from SNA on monday. That’ll determine the cars fate.

XP

Drove my Subaru Outback '06 to 178k with no head gaskets replaced. Timing belt was replaced at 120k. The trade in value was still 3.5k at Toyota.

Ditto above. Do the timing belt, tensioner, idler pulleys, and water pump at the same time as it will really only add parts cost to the bill and you're close to being due for that maintenance anyways. Most Subarus it's not a matter of if but when on a head gasket job, and you're right about the point where they seem to go. My 01 Outback went at 120k, and the handful of head gasket jobs I did when I was a tech were in that same mileage range too. Have seen dropped valve guides on the higher mileage ones, easy to see when the heads are off.
I did all of this on my 07 outback at about 110K. It's at 135 now and It'll get me to 250K Great outdoor car.

wadin' boot

Donny, you're out of your element...
had an 05 outback and the headgasket went at 60k. That and the fact the headlights would burn out in about three months made me really annoyed, then the takata airbag recall with no fix, traded it in for a mazda 3 stick and it is way more fun...

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
had an 05 outback and the headgasket went at 60k. That and the fact the headlights would burn out in about three months made me really annoyed, then the takata airbag recall with no fix, traded it in for a mazda 3 stick and it is way more fun...
Sounds like you had a lemon. I didn't get a recall notice on mine, but I'm the 3rd owner. Sometimes I wonder about the airbags...Are they even there?...And if they are actually still there, will they even work, with the car being 14 years old?:confused:

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I won't get another AWD (all wheel drive) vehicle again, since after I blew out one tire on a set that I had driven on for only 1/3 of their expected life, I had to buy 4 new ones of the same type since I like my tires to be symmetrical. The tires I was rolling had been discontinued, and were worn enough so that any dissimilar new tire would throw everything off. Dang! A 2WD rig would only have needed two new tires.
Now that i have 4 new tires, I figure they'll be good for another 5-6 years, or 40,000 miles, whichever comes first, unless I have another blowout.

racermo

2008 Forester. Did the head gaskets as PM at 94K along with the cam belt. Had to replace the right rear wheel bearing 400 miles later. Currently at 162K. Wife has the 2016 Outback. I get the old car...:(
...which is actually better as I don't worry about parking it a trail heads and such...:confused: