NFR Subaru Head Gaskets

jamma

My '98 Forester blew a head gasket but it was shortly after an issue with a crack in the plastic radiator reservoir to the point where I lost enough water to cause the temperature gauge to peg a couple of times.Always assumed the two were related.On a MacGyver note,I had my fly tying kit with me and sealed the hole with Zap-a-Gap to make it to the next city.

dld

When you get your Subaru fixed, please have them install the blinker option. I can't figure out why blinkers weren't standard equipment, but most of those crap cars I see don't seem to have them installed.

IveofIone

With Subaru selling more than 600,000 vehicles annually if even 1% fail there are going to be a lot of pissed off people. But statistically 1% is just mouse nuts. Unless you are one of the 1%.

It would probably cost between 60 and 100 thousand dollars to buy a 4wd that was significantly better. I'm thinking the new SUV's from Bentley, Land Rover, Lamborghini, Alfa Romeo and the square Mercedes. But who the hell would ever drive one of those like a Subaru?

scottybs

I was talking to my neighbor who is a mechanic, and his wife’s ‘15 outback needed a new motor at 25k. Seems as quite a few on this board have experienced problems. My initial post was to get a glimpse of others experiences and any customer service interactions outside if the warranty period. As I stated. Any modern motor (normal driving) should not need to be pulled prior to 200k. Other things will go but a motor? I call BS.

P-FITZ98

As a 30 year mechanic who owns a repair shop, I have performed countless Subaru head gaskets. Even owned some, personal cars. The older ( mid 90s-early 00s) it was chronic, not if but when the failure came, usually at 100-150k. Don't see it as much on 05 and up models, gaskets were re-engineered. Usually about 1500-1800 in my shop,heads get milled, updated gaskets, and t-belt/ water pump kit. Still good cars, IMO, as my teenage son drives a '99 we got cheap with blown gaskets @180k, we redid it and it's been great for him

jamma

When you get your Subaru fixed, please have them install the blinker option. I can't figure out why blinkers weren't standard equipment, but most of those crap cars I see don't seem to have them installed.
I always use mine,but I feel your pain. Seems to be a issue with a lot of cars on the road these days.The problem appears to be a loose nut between the seat and the steering wheel.

We have had 5 subarus in our family (started with an 82 wagon) and have never had a blown head gasket. Most of them driven to 175K mileage area. Had a large number of cv joints replaced but not many other issues. Our current one has a semi non functional radio(FM works close to town) but not a big deal.

What is the blinker option?

Last edited:

Shad

I have thought for a while my next rig would be an Outback. I currently drive a 2003, bare bones Tacoma with over 200K miles. Due entirely to old age and being parked outdoors, it has all kinds of issues with mechanical part failures (door handles, canopy parts, etc.), but the engine and tranny are still rock solid. I love the reliability of Toyotas and Hondas, and I've been loyal to those brands because of it. The reason I wanted to go to a Subie was to get everything I get out of my Tacoma, without the inconvenience of having only two seats, and with the benefit of better gas mileage. I'm starting to think otherwise.

Everyone who drives a Subaru seems to love what it does for them, but they also seem to share a lot of experience with expensive repairs and replacements. Someone mentioned how all wheel drive equals a new, full set of tires every time you get a flat. Granted, that's the best choice in any car, but it's nice to have the option of buying only two instead. Now I read that a longtime head gasket issue may or may not have been resolved, after about 20 years of sub-par performance? In the modern era, any engine failure before 100K should get lemon status.

Pretty sure my next rig will be another Tacoma at this point. Costs more up front and drinks more gas, but you can buy a lot of gas for the cost of several sets of tires and a couple head gasket jobs, and the seating issue can be resolved by going crew cab (don't care for the shorter bed, though...).

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Shad, that was me who had to replace all 4 tires after having one blow out and get totally destroyed. The remaining tires were just worn enough so that one new replacement might have affected the performance of the computer controlled AWD. Subaru had a warning about this possibility in my owner's manual. My old spare was a worn original, and didn't match any of my new tires, and I tossed it. And then Cooper had quit making the tires I had, so I just got 4 new ones that were similar to the old ones. I want my AWD to work the way its supposed to.
My best remaining tire became my spare, and I kept the two others, which are still good for any 2WD rig.
I carry a tire plugging kit with me, and I had fixed flats on my old truck that were caused by roofing nails without even removing the tire from the car, just by jacking it up, inspecting the tire while rotating it, and finding the nail (Aha!), pulling it out with pliers, and then plugging it, pumping air back into it with my manual floor pump (always in the rig, since I also use it to pump up my fat-bike tires) and then continuing on my way. The biggest hassle was digging out my jack and spare from under all the crap in the back.

karnage

Have you swung a fly today?-
Well my ‘07 Impreza with 87,000 miles went into the shop for an estimate on a leaking valve and a 90k service. Well they found a leaking head gasket too. Not too happy, I’ve read Subie’s are notorious for developing a head gasket leak. I’ve been told writing Subaru of N.A. that they may offer some compensation? Anyone have luck with this? Coming from a 95 Accord this car has been a disappointment from a maintenance standpoint.

I call them super poo

I fix them as well very competitive for head gasket timing belt replacement do a lot of Subaru heads

They don’t care at the factory once out of warranty their heads have had issues since the inception of the boxer engine

Wait till your catalytic converter breaks literally

jamma

Shad, that was me who had to replace all 4 tires after having one blow out and get totally destroyed. The remaining tires were just worn enough so that one new replacement might have affected the performance of the computer controlled AWD. Subaru had a warning about this possibility in my owner's manual. My old spare was a worn original, and didn't match any of my new tires, and I tossed it. And then Cooper had quit making the tires I had, so I just got 4 new ones that were similar to the old ones. I want my AWD to work the way its supposed to.
My best remaining tire became my spare, and I kept the two others, which are still good for any 2WD rig.
I carry a tire plugging kit with me, and I had fixed flats on my old truck that were caused by roofing nails without even removing the tire from the car, just by jacking it up, inspecting the tire while rotating it, and finding the nail (Aha!), pulling it out with pliers, and then plugging it, pumping air back into it with my manual floor pump (always in the rig, since I also use it to pump up my fat-bike tires) and then continuing on my way. The biggest hassle was digging out my jack and spare from under all the crap in the back.
My impression was that it is law.Les Shwab's refuses to replace one tire,probably due to legal responsibility reasons.