NFR Subaru Head Gaskets

dld

My impression was that it is law.Les Shwab's refuses to replace one tire,probably due to legal responsibility reasons.
Definitely responsibility reasons, but I don't believe it is a law most places. Tires which have worn differently will wreck havoc with differentials, even open diffs.

Tires which have worn differently can make for weird reactions when installed on the front of rear-wheel drive cars, making poor road conditions dangerous.

Of course, the same is true of tires that are under-inflated. I see so many vehicles with one tire that is half flat...the highway Patrol must see them, also, but they don't seem to mind.

FinLuver

Definitely responsibility reasons, but I don't believe it is a law most places. Tires which have worn differently will wreck havoc with differentials, even open diffs.

Tires which have worn differently can make for weird reactions when installed on the front of rear-wheel drive cars, making poor road conditions dangerous.

Of course, the same is true of tires that are under-inflated. I see so many vehicles with one tire that is half flat...the highway Patrol must see them, also, but they don't seem to mind.
Doesn't help, that the tires themselves are "one directional" as well.
Use to be ya could rotate the tires, front to back in a diagonal pattern (Rt Frt to Lft R)...now it's Rt Frt to Rt R ... and so on for the left side.

dld

Doesn't help, that the tires themselves are "one directional" as well.
Use to be ya could rotate the tires, front to back in a diagonal pattern (Rt Frt to Lft R)...now it's Rt Frt to Rt R ... and so on for the left side.
True, but the tire technology has improved to where that is hardly an issue anymore.

I have three vehicles, the absolute best tires I have on the three are on my '49 chev hotrod truck. I was able to crawl up my dad's driveway on the Bozeman ice a few weeks ago. My k10, my brother's 3500 express, and pop's dodge 3500 all had to use 4wd.

But, as for Subaru, I'd never buy one. There are so many better options out there.

Then again, the combined age of my three vehicles is 151 years, so my opinion is pretty much invalid.

IveofIone

Then again, the combined age of my three vehicles is 151 years, so my opinion is pretty much invalid.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I would think your opinion might be a little invalid. But at the price point of Subaru's I would be interested to hear what vehicle has a better AWD system and is more capable than a Subie. In test after test comparing Subaru's to other AWD vehicles they always seem to come out ahead against some rigs that sometimes cost 3X as much.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
We have had 5 subarus in our family (started with an 82 wagon) and have never had a blown head gasket. Most of them driven to 175K mileage area. Had a large number of cv joints replaced but not many other issues. Our current one has a semi non functional radio(FM works close to town) but not a big deal.

What is the blinker option?
Could be your radio antenna is broken, The antenna cable runs from the left side of the car down the windshield post to route under the floor mats on the drivers side. Pressure from your heel on the floor could cause the cable to part. It's not a fun job replacing that cable. I did it on my 92 Subaru.

SteveA

Gnu to the board
I have an '03 Forester that I bought new. Started showing head gasket leakage around 100k miles. Never seemed to worsen so I ignored it. At 180k I needed a clutch so had the works done, including head gasket. Currently at 202k and no problems.

Shad

Then again, the combined age of my three vehicles is 151 years, so my opinion is pretty much invalid.
Yeah, I would think your opinion might be a little invalid. But at the price point of Subaru's I would be interested to hear what vehicle has a better AWD system and is more capable than a Subie. In test after test comparing Subaru's to other AWD vehicles they always seem to come out ahead against some rigs that sometimes cost 3X as much.[/QUOTE]
This is a great point. No question, a Subaru gets you into all wheel drive for a lot less than the other guys. They are as good as anything at getting you where you want to go. I think I'm just too cheap for 4WD/AWD at the end of the day.

jwg

[QUOTE="dld, post: 1374244, member: 82964"

But, as for Subaru, I'd never buy one. There are so many better options out there.

[/QUOTE]

I'm genuinely curious about your thoughts on better options and why.
I'm going to replace a family sedan soon with something more useful.

j

scottybs

j[/QUOTE]

What are you in the market for? Cross over, sedan, truck? Like I said, I had an accord got 275k with few problems, my subie in the shop for valves and a headgasket at 87k. Plenty more complaints as well.

dld

j[/QUOTE]

Quite honestly, I'm an old vehicle guy. I prefer to have less expensive vehicles. I prefer used vehicles to avoid the huge drop in value. I grew up in Montana, and never had anything but two-wheel-drive cars/truck. Learning how to drive in snow/ice is more important than how many wheels drive.

To answer your question, I would have two vehicles, instead of one. They would both be used. I would figure out what the main vehicle is, and buy the best for that. Presumably, your main car needs to transport people in a town/city. Buy whatever is comfortable and long-lasting. Shoot, I had a 1992 Chevy Corsica that went 435,000 miles on the original engine and only two clutches.

For the weekend vehicle, I'd look at late-'90's Chevy trucks. They are cheap, inexpensive to work on, reliable, and have great 4wd capability.

If you won't consider two vehicles, I'd look at the Acadias. My parents just bought one, awesome vehicle.

For the record, I have three vehicles:

-1949 Chevy custom truck
-1974 Chevy El Camino SS
-1981 Chevy K10

All of my vehicles are things I enjoy, but none of them are going to break my heart if they are destroyed...well, maybe the '49 would--I've put a lot of work into that. The point is, maybe people should think of vehicles as commodities, instead of lifestyles, or images.

Really, I'm not a good reference for new vehicle shopping. I've just known too many people who swear by subaru's, and have put thousands into fixing them, to ever advocate them.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Back in the 70s I had a roo0m mate that went years driving cars that he would never pay more than $50 for. When they quit, he would pull the plates and walk away. One of those cars lasted so long he had to buy new tires for it! Pissed him off.

jwg

j
What are you in the market for? Cross over, sedan, truck? Like I said, I had an accord got 275k with few problems, my subie in the shop for valves and a headgasket at 87k. Plenty more complaints as well.[/QUOTE]

Good question.
usually I drive a vehicle from new to 200,000 miles.
The immediate reasons reasons to replace the sedan at 50,000 miles are:
1. I want a more upright seating position for my lower back and legs.
2. I'm not that fond of it, in contrast to most previous cars or vans.

I have a 2003 Sienna minivan for practical uses and adventures. With most seats out, its a good hauler and rolling locker room, and I can put a canoe or kayak or other small boat on top.
I got an Outback for my wife a couple of years ago, which serves us well with snow and ice, and is still practical for some adventuring.

I could get an old used vehicle (2003 Rav4 from a friend who wants to get rid of it, 160,000), but then when I drive out of town with the Suburu for reliability, I would be leaving my wife with only old vehicles.

So, upright seating position is key at this point.
not so old I don't want to leave my wife with only old vehicles when I take a less old one on the road.
Thinking a crossover, not necessarily another Suburu. AWD is not essential, but the crossovers sold in this region generally have it.

j

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Back in the 70s I had a roo0m mate that went years driving cars that he would never pay more than $50 for. When they quit, he would pull the plates and walk away. One of those cars lasted so long he had to buy new tires for it! Pissed him off.
I used to drive cheap beaters when I lived on Oahu back in the early 70's. I was a student and a surf bum, and worked various hourly wage jobs. After my brother totaled my blue '67 Corona, I found a pale green '66 2dr Rambler American manual tranny (3-on-the-tree) that was all I could afford with the insurance money, but it had low miles (less than 20,000) on the odo. Later, I let my brother have it. I found a rust bucket '65 Merc Comet that I picked up for $200.
Got a steady swing-shift job that let me attend classes during the day, and finally ditched the junkers and picked up a used '74 Corona wagon in late '76, that only had 21,000 on the odo. That was a great little car that served me well, until I left Oahu in '79.
When I returned to live in WA, the first car I bought was a '67 Volvo 122s 2dr coupe for $500, and then a '62 VW camper (6-volt!). My brother crashed his Fiat 1300, and I let him have the Volvo. Not long after that, I bought the only new vehicle I ever took that beating on, an '82 Subaru GL1800 wagon. Lasted me only 11.5 years before the body rusted out, and the door hinges were rusting off! Engine was still tight! Ahhh, the "beach life!"

But I had a friend on Oahu back in the early 70's who scored a real find. He paid only $50 for a fire engine red 2-dr '62 Chevy convertible! The rag top was getting a little raggedy, but it still worked. The Red Barron served him well for a good year before it crapped out.

Latest posts