OPST SHANKS & SHANK CHUCK

Max P

Just wondering if anyone is using these. If you are how do you like them?
I've been using my tube fly adapter but I'm going to pick up a Chuck today. I've noticed that my shank tends to rotate in the tube adapter when I apply pressure using a dubbing loop.

Also from the videos I've watched it seems like you don't have to put much shank in the Chuck which will be nice. I also am going to like the uniform clearence the Chuck gives. i.e., when I finish my dubbing loop I like to brush it out forward and backwards, the tube fly adapter gets in the way of that on the bottom of the fly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have one and use it on my Norvise. Works excellent for shanks or tubes, I use both sides of the collet.
A nice addition to the tool chest.

I have a selection of OPST shanks and they are pretty tough and versatile. I use them when I need them. :)

You can probably find mustad 7xl (5xl would be plenty long too) streamer hooks for a better price than the opst shanks. You won’t need any special tools for tying either, put the hook in the vice and clip it off when you're finished tying.

Last edited:
I have one and use it on my Norvise. Works excellent for shanks or tubes, I use both sides of the collet.
A nice addition to the tool chest.

I have a selection of OPST shanks and they are pretty tough and versatile. I use them when I need them. :)
How do you mount it in your Norvice? The way they show it on the OPST site results in the shank sitting off the vice's axis, which would cause it to "bounce" when it spins. Did you find a solution to this?

How do you mount it in your Norvice? The way they show it on the OPST site results in the shank sitting off the vice's axis, which would cause it to "bounce" when it spins. Did you find a solution to this?
Actually when I use it I don't spin it that fast, usually I am guiding materials on and and turning slow anyhow so being off center really doesn't matter to me.
After examining mine, and my various attachments, I would surmise a simple way to get what you are looking for is use a drill press and simply remove the set screws, drill it out to the proper diameter put the set screws back in and there you go, on the axis!
I like that idea and may do it myself! Brilliant ;)

Actually when I use it I don't spin it that fast, usually I am guiding materials on and and turning slow anyhow so being off center really doesn't matter to me.
After examining mine, and my various attachments, I would surmise a simple way to get what you are looking for is use a drill press and simply remove the set screws, drill it out to the proper diameter put the set screws back in and there you go, on the axis!
I like that idea and may do it myself! Brilliant ;)
This may well be brilliant, but I'm not sure what exactly you're describing here. This would move the location of the jaws on the Norvice to center them?