Loop Evotec 8120?

Kyle Smith

DBA BozoKlown406
I wanted a good rod for winter steelhead and Columbia basin kings, so I jumped on the 12' 8wt Evotec.

Just over $200 at Fishwest/Vail, they have a few left at this price! It showed up yesterday and it looks really nice.

Anybody here used this rod? Rio suggested a grain window of 500-525 for Skagit. Does this sound light?

I made the mistake of ordering Airflo Skagit Compact 510 before asking around. If it is too light I guess I will find a stronger 7wt switch to cast it with and go heavier for the Loop rod.

I was looking at the rod. Did you get the medium fast or the fast action? Curious to know what you think? I could not find too many reviews of the rod.

Kyle Smith

DBA BozoKlown406
I was looking at the rod. Did you get the medium fast or the fast action? Curious to know what you think? I could not find too many reviews of the rod.
I am still a rookie to 2-handed fishing, so I can't offer much input. I have the MF model. It seems to have a strong tip and butt with a fast recovery. And it cost less than a Dually.

I have been fishing a switch for 9 months and watching YouTube lessons. Hopefully this is a piece of gear I can grow into.

I have been two handing for a couple years now. I mostly use a 7wt Sage Brownie but was considering getting something a little larger. The Loop's seem more popular in Europe and Canada as they come from Sweden so it was hard to find reviews and such.
I can't recommend a lesson enough.

Kyle Smith

DBA BozoKlown406
I have been two handing for a couple years now. I mostly use a 7wt Sage Brownie but was considering getting something a little larger. The Loop's seem more popular in Europe and Canada as they come from Sweden so it was hard to find reviews and such.
I can't recommend a lesson enough.
The next time there is a spey class here in Bozeman (there was one last year) I will have to jump on it.

As far as Loop rods, I have a Multi 9'6" 7wt that is stinking awesome. Also once had an Evotec 390, Xact 490, and AEG 590. The fake cork really transmits feel when casting and fishing. They are made in the same Korean factory as Hardy rods, very good quality.

I've got 4 Loop rods & like all of them, the funny thing about Loop is their rods seem to work much better with Loop lines than anything else! I heard Goran Anderson explaine on a video once that we design the rods & lines at the same time to work with each other!

cmann886

I picked up a 14’ 9 wt. MF and absolutely love it. It is my new favorite rod. My guess is that you might feel 510 is a little light initially, but when you get to be a better caster, your opinion on what is a perfect match will change. Rio recommendations have been a pretty good starting point for me. Madison River Fishing Company (MRFC) has some SA UST 3D’s on clearance for $20 plus shipping which are easy to cast and a good steelhead line in the Midcolumbia if you use lighter flies. It would be worth considering one of these lines as well.

Last edited:

Ryan Janos

Any details on what reel weight balances this rod? I'm thinking of throwing on a Galvan T-10 @ 8.2 oz.

Just had the Airflo Skagit Compact 570 recommended from Fishwest staff.

Kyle Smith

DBA BozoKlown406
Any details on what reel weight balances this rod? I'm thinking of throwing on a Galvan T-10 @ 8.2 oz.

Just had the Airflo Skagit Compact 570 recommended from Fishwest staff.
My Hardy cls 7000 (too small) with 420 grain switch streamer reeled all the way into the spool weighs around 9.2 oz. This balanced the reel 2" from the front end of the grip. Depending on how you like to balance your rod, your reel would probably work, right?

Kyle Smith

DBA BozoKlown406
I picked up the 8136. Thanks for the heads up on a good price for a 1st spey rod! Now I just need some lessons.
Nice! I have a feeling the Galvan is too light for the 8136. I'm just getting a Behemoth 11/12 in Subaru Desert Khaki. This is going to be an interesting year.

Congratulations on your purchase, heck of a deal.

I have owned a Loop Goran Andersson Signature Series 12' #6-7 spey rod for years - this has been an excellent rod and I use mainly for summer steelhead but also as backup for winter steelhead. I combine with the Loop Runner 100 reel for this rod with 450 gr. Skagit shooting head - very balanced. My big stick is the G Loomis NRX 13' #8-9 (this rod is a total canon!) with a Loop Evotech HD G3 reel with 540 gr Airflo Skagit shooting head - a great reel and well balanced. I recommend the Airflo shooting heads, particularly when casting sinktip and heavy steelhead flies. In both cases, I like the Loop Runner running lines. See: https://www.bowrivertroutfitters.com/Loop-Runner-Line-32-827142003849/.

I agree the 510 gr. shooting head will be a good match with the 8120 (and that is a great price - now use some of the money you saved on a good reel). Looking around, I just found a good Evotech G4 for sale on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Loop-Evote...134754&hash=item3f944a0125:g:MO4AAOSwyYFaKAke. Another good reel is the LOOP Multi: https://lelandfly.com/product/loop-multi-fly-fishing-reel-lhw-6-9/ - This would be a great reel for that rod.

Generally, I like Loop rods and reels, but there can be sticker shock so I wait to purchase when on sale.

Last edited:

Kyle Smith

DBA BozoKlown406
I have owned a Loop Goran Andersson Signature Series 12' #6-7 spey rod for years - this has been an excellent rod and I use mainly for summer steelhead but also as backup for winter steelhead. I combine with the Loop Runner 100 reel for this rod with 450 gr. Skagit shooting head - very balanced. My big stick is the G Loomis NRX 13' #8-9 (this rod is a total canon!) with a Loop Evotech HD G3 reel with 540 gr Airflo Skagit shooting head - a great reel and well balanced. I recommend the Airflo shooting heads, particularly when casting sinktip and heavy steelhead flies. In both cases, I like the Loop Runner running lines. See: https://www.bowrivertroutfitters.com/Loop-Runner-Line-32-827142003849/.

I agree the 510 gr. shooting head will be a good match with the 8120 (and that is a great price - now use some of the money you saved on a good reel). Looking around, I just found a good Evotech G4 for sale on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Loop-Evote...134754&hash=item3f944a0125:g:MO4AAOSwyYFaKAke. Another good reel is the LOOP Multi: https://lelandfly.com/product/loop-multi-fly-fishing-reel-lhw-6-9/ - This would be a great reel for that rod.

Generally, I like Loop rods and reels, but there can be sticker shock so I wait to purchase when on sale.
Thanks for the good info! I love Airflo.

I got the head and running line to fit on my Hardy CLS 7000 with no backing, fine for learning here in Montana. Before I take this rig steelheading, I will need a bigger reel. If I don't go with something cheap and good like the Echo Bravo or Behemoth, I will probably get a Danielsson L5W. Maybe the Danielsson and the Redington as a good backup.

Bagman

@kyle When I first got into fly fishing a few years back I pick up a lesser reel, and enjoyed it on my 8wt Xi2, I ran across a 9wt Xi2, and a 10wt Xi2 which were on the lesser reel ment I would need to remove some of the backing off my reel to fit a 10wt floating Rio Outbound short. I found a Loop Evotec G3 8-10 for a good price so I picked it up, there was a problem with the drag so I sent it to Loop USA, and they made it right. I ended up with a new in box Evotec G4 HD 8-10. While I've never had any dealings with Danielsson just shipping to and from Sweden would be a deal breaker for me. Loop has the same warranty as Echo, go on line print the warranty card fill it out put $65 in the box and ship it to Loop USA Idaho. I know they are made in Korea, but they are taken care of right here in the USA.

Latest posts