Silver lake on way to Mt st helens

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
I have a vacation planned for May to try smallmouth near West Richland on the Yak in May, but would like a backup plan if river looks like it will be blown out.

has anyone fished for warm water fish in silver lake in may with a fly rod?

If so any advice is appreciated.

I do not need to know exact location of honey holes, just whether it is woth the drive from puyallup pulling a drift boat.

I have also thought about trying clear lake for trout, but am not sure if Mid may is too early in the season.

Rob Allen

I'd recommend camping in the Columbia Gorge. Lots of access to a wide variety of warm water opportunity and very little pressure.. Anywhere from Stevenson to to Roosevelt. Lots of back waters or access to the main Columbia. Largemouth or smallmouth, panfish and even some trout.

IveofIone

Greg, I fished that a lot back in the 80's and early 90's. Back then it was a fantastic fly fishery-especially for bluegills. It held lots of nice crappies back then and I have caught bass up to 5 lbs. Towards the end of my time fishing it, it started to weed up terribly, probably a result of all the homes around the lake and fertilizer being washed into the lake during the heavy rains. They put grass carp in there to combat the weeds but by then I lost interest. I don't know how it fishes today but it was a delight those many years ago. May is not too early and the way I always fished it early was to boat around near the shore and look for open pockets of water and cast into them. My buddy and I had some 100 fish days on that lake fishing tiny rubber legged poppers on top. Bluegills are a kick in the ass to catch and when they are on their spawning beds they are particularly pugnacious.

Look for structure and be sure to fish right up against shore if the fish are spawning. Sometimes in only 2' of water. I hope you get some more recon on this, I would like to hear how it fishes nowadays.

Ive

Rob Allen

I fished the lake the first time in the early 90s and it was a fantastic lake. I fished it fairly regularly until i sold my boat in 20010ish. As a bass fishery it was great until the planting of the grass carp. After that the fishing became very difficult 1. The carp displaced the bass from the Milfoil and then ate all of the milfoil. Essentially the bass habitat was destroyed. What once was a very easy fishery accessible to all skill levels is now a very challenging and technical fishery. With far fewer fish. I would not consider it a good vacation fishery. It's good for highly skilled conventional fishermen who know the lake well.
How it is for crappie and other species i don't know.

Do a search for tournament results.
A few years ago there was a tournament held there in which no legal fish were caught.

Chad Lewis

NEVER wonder what to do with your free time
Greg, I fished that a lot back in the 80's and early 90's. Back then it was a fantastic fly fishery-especially for bluegills. It held lots of nice crappies back then and I have caught bass up to 5 lbs. Towards the end of my time fishing it, it started to weed up terribly, probably a result of all the homes around the lake and fertilizer being washed into the lake during the heavy rains. They put grass carp in there to combat the weeds but by then I lost interest. I don't know how it fishes today but it was a delight those many years ago. May is not too early and the way I always fished it early was to boat around near the shore and look for open pockets of water and cast into them. My buddy and I had some 100 fish days on that lake fishing tiny rubber legged poppers on top. Bluegills are a kick in the ass to catch and when they are on their spawning beds they are particularly pugnacious.

Look for structure and be sure to fish right up against shore if the fish are spawning. Sometimes in only 2' of water. I hope you get some more recon on this, I would like to hear how it fishes nowadays.

Ive
I liked your post for the use of bluegill and pugnacious in the same sentence. I love bluegill.

I’d recommend going through the Gorge and hitting Rowland Lake, east of Bingen and Horsethief Lake at Horsethief Lake state park.

Are you fishing by boat?

Silver isn’t a super great spot. There are some bass and a lot of small crappie (regs are 9” min/10 daily limit).

The grass carp basically ate all the vegetation and the bass took a big hit. The lake has not recovered although there are several Agencies including ours working towards it.

It’s not a lake I’d recommend.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Yes, i am fishing from a drift boat, no motor. Thanks for the advice of the george. Not sure i will be able to go on vacation becasue our May schedule came out and it looks like my boss forgot my vacation. Might have to push it out into June

Latest posts