Stability Ideas Wanted

Hello All,
I have a 10 ft smoker craft lake boat that I like very much for it's lightness and easy rowing. However it's narrow beam and rounded sides makes it pretty risky to do any standup casting. I am thinking of adding some sort of outrigging or pontoons to the sides to gain some stability. So if anybody has done this I would very much appreciate some guidance. My current thinking is to get a couple of short pontoons to attach to the sides however I would not want to put time+money into something just to find it ineffectual. So if you have some knowledge of this it would be helpful to hear from you.

Many Thanks
Alki

mbowers

Hello All,
I have a 10 ft smoker craft lake boat that I like very much for it's lightness and easy rowing. However it's narrow beam and rounded sides makes it pretty risky to do any standup casting. I am thinking of adding some sort of outrigging or pontoons to the sides to gain some stability. So if anybody has done this I would very much appreciate some guidance. My current thinking is to get a couple of short pontoons to attach to the sides however I would not want to put time+money into something just to find it ineffectual. So if you have some knowledge of this it would be helpful to hear from you.

Many Thanks
Alki
Scotty pontoons maybe? 10ft is a small boat to make stable unless you go inflatable..

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

surfnfish

Save the money you would spend trying to induce stability into an inherently unstable boat.
Apply it towards a used 8' to 10' pram, or build one yourself .
For about $300 to $400 you can buy plans, build it out of 1/4" ply with a single layer of 4 oz fiberglass cloth on the bottom, end up with a light boat that will be inherently far more stable with more fishing room. Then sell the tin boat.

Save the money you would spend trying to induce stability into an inherently unstable boat.
Apply it towards a used 8' to 10' pram, or build one yourself .
For about $300 to $400 you can buy plans, build it out of 1/4" ply with a single layer of 4 oz fiberglass cloth on the bottom, end up with a light boat that will be inherently far more stable with more fishing room. Then sell the tin boat.
What is the weight like on a wood boat?

surfnfish

What is the weight like on a wood boat?
For stillwaters, 3/8" bottom, 1/4" sides (quality marine ply) one layer of 6 oz. fiberglass cloth over the bottom and 6" up the sides, finished weight depends on beam, bow and transom width.

Biggest problem with hand built wood prams is a tendency to over build them like an old school rowboat No need to, a properly built lightweight pram when put together= buoyant, tight wood shell.

ultra-light 7' at 43#

or a bigger 9' , likely around 7o# MOL

if interested, just search the web, dozens of plans, builders, etc..and have been many threads on this forum regarding same.

Latest posts