NFR Terrible snow

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Every time we would get warnings on snow here the clouds would seem to go north and dump on the people north of me. If we got all that we were supposed to get I would probably be under all that snow.

Trapper

Author, Writer, Photographer
While we folks north of Helena didn’t get near the snow or wind the Res got, it’s getting old. We got snow right after Halloween, but it melted at Thanksgiving.

Then, mid-December it started snowing. Because of the cold weather it’s still here, plus a whole lot more. On the level at my house the snow is 3’ deep.

This was this morning. My neighbors called me at 6 AM. Their roads drifted in during a snow storm yesterday and last night. I fired up my tractor to go dig them out.

You can’t plow 4’ of snow with a blade on a pickup or 4 wheeler.

1699D2B3-CBA5-4797-ABFB-D6C407F6BF08.jpeg

I have to shovel them out a bucket full at a time.

B2A03419-BFC7-4604-981D-C5F3D0AE8584.jpeg

Even though I know this will be good for the trout this summer, I am more than a bit sick of snow.

JACKspASS

Trapper, have your neighbors tried putting up a drift fence? My folks get really bad drifting, and they put a drift fence up and still get drifted in on the bad storms, however, less often with the lesser events.

Trapper

Trapper, have your neighbors tried putting up a drift fence? My folks get really bad drifting, and they put a drift fence up and still get drifted in on the bad storms, however, less often with the lesser events.
I’ve suggested it, but no, they haven’t. Most years it’s not bad because we don’t get a lot of wind with the snow. The past three years Ive dug them out fairly often.

I told them all that next year I’m charging them $75 each time I clear their road for them. That will help pay the $3000 it will cost to buy a PTO snow blower for my tractor.

saffman

Trapper- I've got that little Kubota with a front mount blower on it. It's amazing! Blows about 70 feet out. Makes pretty short work of the project. Pair of ski goggles and cinch up the hood on the jacket and go to it!

Damn trapper, you are a good neighbor.

$100 minimum.

From what I’ve seen/read we went from low 30s to high70s in snowpack. With lots of snow then rain then snow early season we should get a decent runoff to flush smolts and get some late season water too.

Last year was a good water year and I’m hopeful this year will end up being good as well. Lord knows our fish need it.

Trapper

Trapper- I've got that little Kubota with a front mount blower on it. It's amazing! Blows about 70 feet out. Makes pretty short work of the project. Pair of ski goggles and cinch up the hood on the jacket and go to it!
My Kubota is a B3300SU. It’s got enough horsepower at the PTO to drive a rear mounted snow blower. I want to keep my loader on the front.

My only fear is if I spend $3K for a snow blower we’ll have the warmest and driest winter in history next year.

But yeah, ski goggles, ski mask, insulated coveralls and boots, and Lithium battery warmed gloves are a must. They are my current snow plowing uniform and gear.

saffman

We just have a little BX2350 we share with a neighbor. He's only here part time and I have no use for the loader in the winter so we just swap out and leave the blower on the front all winter. Going forward (instead of backwards) with the blower prevents a lot of sore neck :). And dry winters... Last year seemed like I was on that thing every week. This year I had it out once. Gonna be a dry summer in SW Colorado :(

Trapper

We just have a little BX2350 we share with a neighbor. He's only here part time and I have no use for the loader in the winter so we just swap out and leave the blower on the front all winter. Going forward (instead of backwards) with the blower prevents a lot of sore neck :). And dry winters... Last year seemed like I was on that thing every week. This year I had it out once. Gonna be a dry summer in SW Colorado :(
I got an email from a friend in Colorado Springs saying the fire season in Colorado has already started. Not good.

Latest posts