NFR 2018 Yard/Garden Thread

Salmo_g

Can't believe I'd ever say this, but I'm starting to get tired of eating strawberries. Never had a crop like this. Mostly they're from starts I bought at the farmer's market last year. I don't remember the variety.

And I'm finished buying salad greens for a while. Lettuce is growing faster than we can eat it. Snap peas and beans are coming along, but will be a while before we have any for harvest.

My tomatoes are weird this year. The Sungold grape-size tomato plants on the east side of my plastic covered tomato house are growing well and normally. The slicer-sized, not Early Girl, but similar, on the west side of the tomato house seem stunted and aren't growing very much at all, although they both have a fruit or two growing on them. It all gets watered the same. It sorta' looks like all the organic fertilizer drifted to the east side, leaving the slicer tomato plants in the lurch. I wonder if I should give them some more fertilizer?

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
You could, just make sure its a low nitrogen type....I used some Dr. Earth heirloom tomato fertilizer ......its all I could find out here and it did the trick on my early planted outdoor stuff....finally some heat so most everything in the tomato patch has gone crazy lately.....30 plants, 6 outside and 24 in the hoop house, all getting off the dime and growing great.
Pro tip.....we use an electric tooth brush on a long stick to 'vibrate' the flowers on the hoop house plants to help with fruit set, works excellent for hoop house tomatoes.

Videos on YouTube if you're interested in seeing it done.

Can't believe I'd ever say this, but I'm starting to get tired of eating strawberries. Never had a crop like this. Mostly they're from starts I bought at the farmer's market last year. I don't remember the variety.

And I'm finished buying salad greens for a while. Lettuce is growing faster than we can eat it. Snap peas and beans are coming along, but will be a while before we have any for harvest.

My tomatoes are weird this year. The Sungold grape-size tomato plants on the east side of my plastic covered tomato house are growing well and normally. The slicer-sized, not Early Girl, but similar, on the west side of the tomato house seem stunted and aren't growing very much at all, although they both have a fruit or two growing on them. It all gets watered the same. It sorta' looks like all the organic fertilizer drifted to the east side, leaving the slicer tomato plants in the lurch. I wonder if I should give them some more fertilizer?
It's early yet...water with alaska fish fertilizer...low N...it will make them happy.

I got a buy on the Dr Earth...so i did not buy my usuall 40 lb bags of organic components to mix in wheel barrow...the dr Earth was at the used food store(grocery Outlet)...$5 a bag instead of the usual $16...which in my opinion is ridiculous... BTW I have had a hellova time finding legume inoculent this year...Anyone else?

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Legume-rhizobial symbiosis is species-specific, but some recent studies have found that this symbiosis may even be cultivar-strain-specific. That is, different varieties within the same plant species may prefer different optimal rhizobial strains for maximum N fixation.....

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/isrn/2013/786030/

Once you have rhizobia in your soil, it will sustain itself, feeding on any number of organic materials....many commercial seeds come pre inoculated ( often a white dust like stuff on the seeds) so if you ever went that route, likely have the bacteria present already

It certainly doesn't hurt, but has a shelf life, so store cool and dark, use it within a year was the general rule I used.
I no longer do it either...but have in the past.

I have a space I made that gets reflected sun behind ellens shop...I plant garlic starts in the back as a sort of nursery to leave alone, then dry beans, Robe Mtn in this year and 31 tomatoes trellising (a lot of varieties i have saved over the years) and in front under the gutter screen barbanzo and yin Yang bush beans...The soil is what i call nuked and fluffy...
tomatoes today.jpg
tomatoes today 2.jpg
tomatoes today 3.jpg

Ellen has a yet to be pried open container of coyote piss...no ammo for any firearms but there is always coyote piss...I am very afraid to open it...Me thinks it could be a standard quip..."damn crows they ate the beans again Ellen."... "Well, there is always coyote piss!" she could say... Ha!

Latest posts