NFR Oh Shit

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I went to get my drivers license renewed today. She said read the top line and I said what top line. It was all blurry. She took my license away from me. I asked her can I have it back so I could drive home. She said no and to call a taxi. I left, got in my truck and went to see an Eye Doctor. Well it will be a long time till I get to drive again. I have to have cataract surgery done in both eyes. Can't get to see the Doctor of Eyes until April. And then about 3 more weeks until I done. :(:(:(

Well skinny water doesn't open up until the 3rd Saturday in May. I should be good to go by then. Shit I hope so.:confused:

teedub

Jim, I had it done to my left eye in 2006 and my right eye in 2008. Could not see a thing before the surgery. Fist eye took about eight minutes (not counting prep) and second one was 12 minutes. I can see 20/20 in both now. Need cheaters to see when I tie on smaller than 14's but I can see where I am going and I sure as hell can see fish rising 25 feet away. Good luck! You will love the difference.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Bummer about the license... but as teedub says, it's like getting new eyes... which isn't a bad deal instead of wearing glasses all the time...

Bummer! Hopefully you have some sort of insurance or Medicaid to help with costs.

Much better to find out this way than to run over something or somebody.

Not pertaining to your situation but having several family members over 70 still driving I really think we need to check elderly drivers more often. I have a 85 year old aunt who has 24 hour in home care, is halfway into dementia, and can barely see but she is still happily driving to the store and church.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I can still see alright but according to the bitch at the license place I can't. The eye doctor I saw today said I have bad cataract's and do need it done. Even with new glasses it wouldn't help.Wife had both eyes done last year. She can see much better now.

Just think, I can now spend more money on classy glasses. Whoopee! :cool::cool:

IveofIone

Last month the eye doc told me I had to have it done on both eyes. Things are starting to dim a bit. I kept buying larger and larger TV's to compensate but really, it is the eyes and not the TV that is the problem.

I can still see alright but according to the bitch at the license place I can't. The eye doctor I saw today said I have bad cataract's and do need it done. Even with new glasses it wouldn't help.Wife had both eyes done last year. She can see much better now.

Just think, I can now spend more money on classy glasses. Whoopee! :cool::cool:
Hey there,

I certainly wasn’t trying to call you out. I’m 42 and barely passed my eye exam to get a commercial license a couple years ago. I was shocked it was even an issue as I’ve never noticed a problem.

I was simply speaking to the larger issues of elderly drivers. We super limit when and how kids get to drive now but have very little checks on when people lose the ability to drive well. I was shocked how hard it was to get the DMV to rescind my dads license at our request when it was clear he wasn’t capable anymore(several minor crashes, poor decision making due to dementia). I’ve got no problem with elderly drivers, probably because I live in a small town and rarely get over 25mph,but I see no downside in them being checked more often than middle aged drivers. I’d be happy to add $10 per year to my registration to cover said cost and give elderly drivers a discounted license fee.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Hey there,

I certainly wasn’t trying to call you out. I’m 42 and barely passed my eye exam to get a commercial license a couple years ago. I was shocked it was even an issue as I’ve never noticed a problem.

I was simply speaking to the larger issues of elderly drivers. We super limit when and how kids get to drive now but have very little checks on when people lose the ability to drive well. I was shocked how hard it was to get the DMV to rescind my dads license at our request when it was clear he wasn’t capable anymore(several minor crashes, poor decision making due to dementia). I’ve got no problem with elderly drivers, probably because I live in a small town and rarely get over 25mph,but I see no downside in them being checked more often than middle aged drivers. I’d be happy to add $10 per year to my registration to cover said cost and give elderly drivers a discounted license fee.
What ever you said didn't bother me. I get along with just about everybody. It's just that I have to keep up my Oh shit attitude. Can't let it be know that I'm really a nice guy.

I went to get my drivers license renewed today. She said read the top line and I said what top line. It was all blurry. She took my license away from me. I asked her can I have it back so I could drive home. She said no and to call a taxi. I left, got in my truck and went to see an Eye Doctor. Well it will be a long time till I get to drive again. I have to have cataract surgery done in both eyes. Can't get to see the Doctor of Eyes until April. And then about 3 more weeks until I done. :(:(:(

Well skinny water doesn't open up until the 3rd Saturday in May. I should be good to go by then. Shit I hope so.:confused:
No big deal Jim, I just had both eyes done and it's a piece of cake, just doesn't taste as good. But WOW does it make a difference and medicare covers it, but not the eye drops, which weren't cheap.

Buzzy

Jim - sorry for the hassle but I'm told most of us senior citizens will eventually need cataract surgery. Quick and makes our eyes young again. Best wishes!

Latest posts