Norway flyfishing experience?

I am trying to put together a family trip to ancestral homeland (I'm 50% Norwegian), and am considering flying in with my brother a few days or even a week earlier than my wife and kids to do some fishing. Anyone have experience in Atlantic Salmon (or other species) fly angling there?

From what I've been reading it seems the Trondheim area is the most common, but am curious about other areas as well but am not finding much info. If anyone is willing to comment on their experiences I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,
Greg

This sounds funny, but try checking instagram... You can contact a bunch of folks from that area through there. I've connected with a bunch of them selling flies for their "Sea Trout" (Sea Run Browns).

Dizane

Coast to Coast
I fished sea trout from the beaches there 10+ years ago. At the time no license or other permit was required to fish the saltwater and you could legally cross private land to access the sea. I was in southern Norway and was told the fee for salmon fishing on the nearest river was around $200 US per day and a limited number of permits were sold each day. I was a student at the time and did not want to pony up for that fee.

Albula

I fished the area around Trondheim last summer for Atlantics after considering a number of other regions. I would be glad to talk with you about what I found if you want but not crazy about doing so on the innertubes. Send a pm and we can arrange a talk by phone if you wish.

SilverFly

I am trying to put together a family trip to ancestral homeland (I'm 50% Norwegian), and am considering flying in with my brother a few days or even a week earlier than my wife and kids to do some fishing. Anyone have experience in Atlantic Salmon (or other species) fly angling there?

From what I've been reading it seems the Trondheim area is the most common, but am curious about other areas as well but am not finding much info. If anyone is willing to comment on their experiences I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,
Greg
Norway is also on my bucket list. Actually I've been there once about 30 years ago on a NATO exercise held at the Evenes Air Station a bit north of Narvik. STUNNINGLY beautiful country, great people, and great food/beer. The seafood in particular is off the charts (and no, I'm not talking about Lutefisk - gack). Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to fish, but found out there lots of options beyond salmon fishing - which can be very expensive. Freshwater options other than salmon include non-anadromous browns, grayling, arctic char, and many of the lakes have huge pike, or "gjedde". As mentioned seatrout are common in the salt, and from what I saw, there are also cod and pollack pretty much everywhere in saltwater. And well within fly range of shore. There's also another species called the "coalfish" which is basically a super-charged pollack that acts more like a tuna. The area to fish for those is the Lofoten archipeligo. Just one more reason for me to visit the homeland since that's where my grandfather was born. Do a search for coalfish on the salt forum and you should find a fly fishing video that might make you forget about chasing atlantics. Bring a 12wt if you go after those things. I'll be taking notes on this thread. Good luck!

Last edited:

tallguy

I will also be in norway this summer, for work and then some vacation time.. will go to northern norway, lofoten islands area for climbing and fishing, and would appreciate some advice if anyone has some.

I fished the Orkla River for a whole week in August 2.5yrs ago with a group of other Finnish guys, there was 14 of us & cost me 830 euros + National salmon license 15 euros + disinfection 10-15 euros! Drove there from Finland, had the lodge to ourselves but self catering & a heap of private beats, fished in pairs on a rotary system, 4 hrs one beat then go to the next! The guide for the lodge was still there having a fish & guiding on a couple of beats we didn't have access too & said 1 week with meals & guide + access to a couple more beats would cost 5000 euros for a week! Don't know what time of year you are planning? Salmon season is short there & rivers are all owned to my knowledge? Also booked up even years ahead! Some public salmon access up north but disinfection rules & fees + a whole lot of other laws apply! Coastal & other than salmon licenses aren't expensive, Big grayling in Norway! My friends wife caught her first halibut on fly couple of weeks ago when they were there! I want to fish for Arctic char in lakes up the top this summer when I go up there, also want to fish the salt up top, gonna look at getting a guide in a boat for a half day!?! Remember Norway is expensive!

jwg

Very interesting thread.
A friend of mine has a trip planned to the Loftoen Islands, and another friend just secured a research position a little farther north in Tromso.

Grayling sound like fun, and the sea run browns, and the non-anadromous browns.

Coalfish, which spell checks to Coolish, sound interesting too...

jay

miyawaki

As an added note, I am hosting a trip to the Norwegian Fly Fisher's lodge and water on the Gaula River July 29 - Aug 5. The cost is $7300 which includes all river beats, food, booze, guides, and rental car.

Leland.