NFR Maybe We Need a New Forum Category

IveofIone

What we need is some fishing to liven this place up a bit. It's the seasonal doldrums and this too shall pass...
I agree, a lot of this is just seasonal and provides chatter for the shut-ins until they can actually get out and go fishing. For instance-me! There is no open water or open season around here for over 100 miles and at least 6 weeks yet. Tomorrow I will be driving over 200 miles just to wet a line. It is what it is.

As far as NFR is concerned reading them is strictly optional and since we are a wildly diverse community we have a lot more interest than just fishing alone. And that stuff falls into the NFR cracks. Maybe all we need is a new emoji of a face with hands over the eyes that appears automatically whenever NFR is typed. Sort of a "Don't Look" alarm for the NFR averse.

Buzzy

Tomorrow I will be driving over 200 miles just to wet a line. It is what it is.
Looking forward to wetting a line with you, Ive! Pretty sure flows will be significant out of the upstream reservoir and that should bode well for us. I would love to hit a hatch on that big eddy.

Jojo

When somebody puts up a report, there is always somebody who puts a damper on them. When I put a NFR up it is usually in fun that I do it. You don't have to read any NFR as nobody is forcing you to read them.
I think the NFR threads are important in connecting us all as a community and the great thing about them, is as @Old Man says, they are usually in fun. Which is something we can all use during the winter season and the “shack nasties’, as y’all refer to them.

But if you look at the ‘Ages” post you can see that not all of us are spring chickens, so getting out and fishing as we used to isn’t the same option that it is for many of you, not to mention geography...so some of us can live vicariously through those who do.

Jojo

I try not to post many NFR threads, though i do comment on them. But my fishing report would be pretty boring and redundant. it would go something like this:

1. Tied on a size 12 parachute Adams or maybe it was a size 10, i don’t know, it was large enough so that i could thread my tippet through it.

2. Damnit, how did my fingers forget how to tie my swirl knot? Guess i’ll Have to use the clinch knot. I hate that one so much.

3. I found some safe water where i didn’t have to hike too far in and could wade out up past my knees without fear of being swept down river.

4. Oh good no wind. Adams is floating with the parachute up so i can see it. That’s great! Damnit, i hate mending.

5. OOps didn’t see that brush behind me. Oh good, my parachute Adams is safe. No worse for the wear. OH, but this that a wind knot? Crap. Oh well i’m not changing it, the fish i catch never break off my tippet.

6. Hmmm. Nothing happening. OK, new fly. Tying on a Madam X. She is always good to me usually.

7. (Three casts later, no action) OK, let’s try the Royal Wulff.

8. (Six casts later) Maybe i should try a smaller parachute Adams.

9. Damn, i can’t see to tie on my tippet. I need stronger readers.

10. OK, maybe a caddis this time, those are easy to see.

11. Damn that bush. Oh shoot, it took my fly.

12. Time for a beer.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I try not to post many NFR threads, though i do comment on them. But my fishing report would be pretty boring and redundant. it would go something like this:

1. Tied on a size 12 parachute Adams or maybe it was a size 10, i don’t know, it was large enough so that i could thread my tippet through it.

2. Damnit, how did my fingers forget how to tie my swirl knot? Guess i’ll Have to use the clinch knot. I hate that one so much.

3. I found some safe water where i didn’t have to hike too far in and could wade out up past my knees without fear of being swept down river.

4. Oh good no wind. Adams is floating with the parachute up so i can see it. That’s great! Damnit, i hate mending.

5. OOps didn’t see that brush behind me. Oh good, my parachute Adams is safe. No worse for the wear. OH, but this that a wind knot? Crap. Oh well i’m not changing it, the fish i catch never break off my tippet.

6. Hmmm. Nothing happening. OK, new fly. Tying on a Madam X. She is always good to me usually.

7. (Three casts later, no action) OK, let’s try the Royal Wulff.

8. (Six casts later) Maybe i should try a smaller parachute Adams.

9. Damn, i can’t see to tie on my tippet. I need stronger readers.

10. OK, maybe a caddis this time, those are easy to see.

11. Damn that bush. Oh shoot, it took my fly.

12. Time for a beer.
Thank you. An excellent report. I agree with all that was said.:):):):p:p:p

Josh

dead in the water
As someone who has been involved with web-communities on every level for the past 15 years (from a noob user to a job running a million member site), I know how important NFR/OT type posts can be to building a connected community.

But as someone who has been involved with web-communities on every level for the past 15 years, I also know what a toll it take be for admin/mod staff to wrangle these threads. Humans (of every political/moral/geographical stripe) have a hard time communicating through the written word. Even more so when the topics become contentious.

I'm generally in favor of OT type forums on a site like this one. But I also respect any community's staff if they say "We can't deal with that headache" for their specific site. Because it sure can be a headache.

All that said, shack nasties happen every year on WFF around this time. Lack of open fishing, weather is still pretty cold/wet, the holidays are all past, people have got new-year stuff like taxes staring them in the face, and so on. It'll pass, it always does.

Skip Enge

Staff member
When somebody puts up a report, there is always somebody who puts a damper on them. When I put a NFR up it is usually in fun that I do it. You don't have to read any NFR as nobody is forcing you to read them.

'nough said.
Can't say I have ever been forced to watch Oprah. That would be a special kind of purgatory.

Latest posts