asking for a lot

Great info from all ! First thing when you hit a beach, look up and down the beach, look for any sign of fish, might only be a little dimple and don't step in the water without casting in close first, you'd be surprised what you can find in only a few inches of water.

Buzzy

I wasn't sure from your initial two posts in this thread, and because of your avatar, if you were thinking of wade fishing or boat fishing. Presume you've used the search function on this forum? Tons of great information. And what a couple of responders have said about "couple inches of water". Yeah, yes, true, yes, very true. I have a bad habit when wade fishing of forgetting skinny water next to shore. When I'm in a boat, that's often what I target. Luckily I get to fish a couple of your MA's from a friends boat, an open 14 foot boat, three guys. If I'm on the tiller then I pretty much have to troll but if I'm in the bow or middle, then I target shore with my casts, pauses, strips.

skyrise

Get at least 2 copy’s of the fishing rule book. One for the boat one for the truck. Book mark the WDFW site. Check it weekly for changes. Never discount a beach or cove. Head the weather forecasts. The winds here can get deadly in a very short time. And in time we could be asking you for advice. Oh and sometimes bringing a gear rod & reel can help learn about salt fishing.

SilverFly

Fence,

Just curious if you are interested in chasing albacore, what kind of tuna techniques are you familiar with? I ask both from a willingness to share the basics I know, and an intense interest in absorbing tuna wisdom from back east..

We have an incredible, world-class fishery at our door step. An often frustrating one, but that just adds fuel to the obsession. I also think this fishery has much greater fly fishing (and other gear techniques) potential than it is given credit for.

The point being we should start talking now (we're about due for a fresh tuna thread). Lotsa stuff to cover from gear, techniques, fly lines, etc... etc...

Guy

To be honest I know nothing about albacore. We chased black fin and yellowfin.
And to be honest they were more of a by-catch for us. We concentrated more on wahoo and dolphin unless we had a client who wanted to chase marlin

SilverFly

To be honest I know nothing about albacore. We chased black fin and yellowfin.
And to be honest they were more of a by-catch for us. We concentrated more on wahoo and dolphin unless we had a client who wanted to chase marlin
Wahoo are very high on my bucket list. I SO wish we had them, but no wahoo here in the PNW. We do get a few dorado, yellowtail, small bluefin, and even striped marlin are caught on rare occasions. Unfortunately never in numbers worth targeting any of those species, but that doesn't stop us from checking out kelp patties and other flotsam out there. Fortunately it's pretty easy to forget about those higher profile species when the albacore invade en masse.

Latest posts