Balanced leaches

Dave Boyle

At the Lynwood show, there were good deals to be had and new products to try. I bought a load of Allen hooks including some jig hooks. On the plus side $3 for 25 hooks, barbless and a hefty gauge of wire. As negatives, they were only in sz 10 and the angle of the eye to shank is ~45°. I’m in the process of cranking out a load of balanced leaches and have tied in the bead heads.

To compensate for the eye being too hidden once I wrap and brush out the body I have bent the bead support wire on some to accentuate the eye so I can tie to the leader more easily. See below, the picture is shite but you get the gist. Looking for folks’ recommendations as to would this work fly wise, it will of course with effort but looking for general simplicity.

Thanks,

Dave
balanced shanks.jpg

b_illymac

Member Active
If you want simplicity just get matching 3.5 mm slotted beads and be done with it.

I fish indicators all the time in lakes and I dont think I have fished a true balanced leech in over a year. I do ok. In fact I'm starting to believe the balanced style have no advantage.

Old406Kid

In fact I'm starting to believe the balanced style have no advantage.
:eek:Pure blasphemy!:D
Seriously, I like using the 90 degree bend hooks better for true balanced leeches and the 45 degree
for slotted bead, jig style stuff.
That said, it's hard to find heavier wire 90 degree hooks in the smaller sizes.
On the smaller sizes I recently played around with adding a post from another jig hook to keep the profile shorter,. (Disclaimer: yet to be tested)
P2241116 (5).JPG P2271122 (1).JPG

Last edited:

Buzzy

:eek:Pure blasphemy!:D
Seriously, I like using the 90 degree bend hooks better for true balanced leeches and the 45 degree
for slotted bead, jig style stuff.
That said, it's hard to find heavier wire 90 degree hooks in the smaller sizes.
On the smaler sizes I recently played around with adding a post from another jig hook to keep the profile shorter,. (Disclaimer: yet to be tested)
View attachment 164588 View attachment 164589
Ditto on the heavier wire hooks for balanced leeches. I did something similar to what @Dave Boyle did for balanced leeches designed for salmon (no test results). @b_illymac - at least with balanced leeches I don't have to deal with that confusing slot.:confused:

troutpocket

What adding the bead out front gets you, besides a level balance point, is more shank to fill. You end up with a larger profile leech. I tie both ways - true balanced and just a slotted bead. It’s more about what I feel like tying on than a real preference from the fish.

troutpocket

I’ve given up trying to balance hooks smaller than #12. Adding the pin alters the profile too much. I just use slotted beads for the smaller bugs.

b_illymac

Member Active
If you want simplicity just get matching 3.5 mm slotted beads and be done with it.

I fish indicators all the time in lakes and I dont think I have fished a true balanced leech in over a year. I do ok. In fact I'm starting to believe the balanced style have no advantage.
I should also add that this is only my opinion and it is weighed heavy by my current addiction to all things jiggy...:D

Those are what I call pin head micro leeches. I tie them on a Mustad 32755-BR (90 degree bend) in sizes 8, 10, and 12. Find they work quite well in lakes with a little chop suspended from an indicator.

Doug

Last edited:
Those are what I call pin head micro leeches. I tie them on a Mustad 32755-BR (90 degree bend) in sizes 8, 10, and 12. Find they work quite well in lakes with a little chop suspended from an indicator.

Doug
When you see one that's properly tied, properly knotted to a tippet, suspended from a bobber, dancing around in the water, you'll appreciate how & why they're so effective. At least I was; ......... & still am.

BN2FSH

I can tell you that balanced leeches really work. We tried them at Jurassic Lake last year and when using a bobber / indicator we caught lots more fish with them then we did using an "unbalanced" leech. We continued using them this year with great success. Most of the ones I have tied are way more sparse then in the previous photo, however, I will be tying fuller ones as well. I am also experimenting with a 4-5 inch balanced leech for fishing our big Alaska rivers like the Kenai, Kvichak and Naknek. I also plan to try some larger ones in chart/blue for king salmon, and hot pink for silvers and steelhead.

Latest posts