To the coast!

I'm meeting my folks and siblings for a weekend on the coast, and I'm curious if anyone can point me in the direction of some open water I can drop a fly into while we are there. We will be staying at Pacific Beach, just south of Moclips.

Seems like there isn't much water open along the route there (Hwy 12 to the 101 before cutting over on Ocean Beach Rd) , with the exception of traveling next to the Humptulips for a few miles.

I've never fished any OP rivers, or done any beach fishing into the ocean. I'll only have my single hand 6wt with me. Anyone got some tips or insight? It'd be great to be able and sneak away for a few hours and possibly get into some fish.

Thanks in advance, and feel free to PM if you don't wanna share publicly!

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Not much possible except for the Hump, where it may be fishable. If the flows aren't too high, try to find access to a bar where you can wade in and swing a fly. I haven't been there in a few years, now.
The surf fishing may be difficult with your fly rod. Damon Point in Ocean shores might offer calmer access to beach casting, and its known to have surf perch. Bottom fishing opens Sat 3/10, so we can fish from jetties!
Duck Lake in Ocean Shores is open. It may have been stocked with some trout recently. A couple of weeks ago I heard a report of Crappie biting in 12' deep water, but I don't know where that spot is located. small craft or float tube recommended.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Not much possible except for the Hump, where it may be fishable. If the flows aren't too high, try to find access to a bar where you can wade in and swing a fly. I haven't been there in a few years, now.
The surf fishing may be difficult with your fly rod. Damon Point in Ocean shores might offer calmer access to beach casting, and its known to have surf perch. Bottom fishing opens Sat 3/10, so we can fish from jetties!
Duck Lake in Ocean Shores is open. It may have been stocked with some trout recently. A couple of weeks ago I heard a report of Crappie biting in 12' deep water, but I don't know where that spot is located. small craft or float tube recommended.
Good luck!
Thanks for the advice, Jim! Figured the hump was gonna be my best bet if it's fishable. Especially since it'll be the most convenient piece of water on my route. Hope to be able to check back with a good report.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I heard 80 mph winds at the coast today
Good one! 30 mph max, today. Hmmmm....maybe have your eyes checked...my vision sometimes blurs so bad that a 3 looks like an 8. OH, you said, "heard." That's different. Eight sounds nothing like three. You probably just need a hearing aide. After you finish your research, please let me know what the optimal one is, cause I need one, myself!:D

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
As you all can see from my posts
Living here on the coast
Relatively sucks the most...
If you're neither surfer nor commercial fisher
You'd be wiser to do business elsewhere.
This place only makes money 6 months out of the year
And can be worse than "Motel Hell."
In fact, if you bought here, with a head full of dreams
Perhaps you were suckered in, it seems:eek:
Ah, 6 months of the year this is "Motel Hell"
And you don't get many chances to sell!

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Yes, Nick, I did. The flash was more spectacular. As I pulled into my driveway at around 7pm, the entire sky lit up. I was in my car, coming to a stop, and I thought, WTF! The sky did not look like a thunder/lightening setup. Sunset had been through light overcast mixed with high clouds, high humidity...I'd just come home after a short stop at the store on my home from Westhaven St Park. At first, I heard no thunder accompanying the flash. I was counting down the seconds as I was gathering my stuff from the car and then standing in my driveway gazing up at the sky. It seemed like at least 45 seconds or a full minute before I heard the loud boom! This seemed like no ordinary thunder/lightening action. Then I read a possible explanation about it being a "bolide" event, where a meteor comes in so close and fast, that its burning up produces a huge flash, and that the boom from it breaking the sound barrier doesn't reach the surface for a minute or so.
Bingo!

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
Yes, Nick, I did. The flash was more spectacular. As I pulled into my driveway at around 7pm, the entire sky lit up. I was in my car, coming to a stop, and I thought, WTF! The sky did not look like a thunder/lightening setup. Sunset had been through light overcast mixed with high clouds, high humidity...I'd just come home after a short stop at the store on my home from Westhaven St Park. At first, I heard no thunder accompanying the flash. I was counting down the seconds as I was gathering my stuff from the car and then standing in my driveway gazing up at the sky. It seemed like at least 45 seconds or a full minute before I heard the loud boom! This seemed like no ordinary thunder/lightening action. Then I read a possible explanation about it being a "bolide" event, where a meteor comes in so close and fast, that its burning up produces a huge flash, and that the boom from it breaking the sound barrier doesn't reach the surface for a minute or so.
Bingo!
Interestingly, X Files was on last night as well.....
SF

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Well, I'd better get a TV, then! The sky really lit up...I was in my car, pulling into my driveway and slowing to a stop when it happened. It was really bright! The last time I had lightning that bright here, the thunder cracked almost immediately afterwards...and the next flash had a 3 or 4 seconds period before the thunder. This was one BIG long flash, and the "thunder" didn't follow it as soon as I'd expect. There were no more flashes, either.
I don't have a TV. Anyone hear the official explanation? (Other than SF's revelation?)

The "bolide" thing is what I've read the most today. A bunch of my friends out on the coast were posting about it on FB last night so it caught my attention.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout forever
Bingo!
I heard it too!
Missed the flash, but the rumble was odd in sound/feel..not sure why..thought "thunder?" but still got up to look outside and wondered a bit until I saw the news later.

Very cool stuff

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout forever
Interestingly, X Files was on last night as well.....
SF
I was getting amped for the new X-Files even..how odd?

Oddly, today I saw a partial albino Robin flying around the yard. (cue X-Files music!)
It had white feathers on the wings and tail..and part of it's head-very pretty bird !

bad pic below of "Scully" below a watchful Mulder :)

robnwhoteeedd.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts