Which Line To Use?

Hello there, I have been fishing all my life and am finally getting in to Flyfishing. I know very little, however do have some gear, and want to start fishing the South Sound. Being a seasoned spin/baitcast fisherman, I know little to nothing about fly lines. I have an Okuma SLT 5/6 reel with one spool of WF6F, I also have an empty spool, and would like any suggestions on what line to fill it with for fishing the South Sound area. Any info is greatly appreciated!

What SF said, you're rods action (make and model) will determine what lines will work best on it and if it will do whats needed to handle wind and distance.

What SF said, you're rods action (make and model) will determine what lines will work best on it and if it will do whats needed to handle wind and distance.
Well don't laugh... I know it's a 5/6 reel, but my rod is a Hobbs Creek (Bass Pro Shops) 7wt. I know it's mismatched but thought I may want a little heavier rod for salt... I know, I'm new to this. LOL

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
We all had to start somewhere......

Keep in mind the Airflo line mentioned is a integrated shooting head line, so the grain wt of a 6 wt Beach line is between a 8 & 9 by AFTMA standard.
In other words, these types of lines are designed for shooting line and are uplined in weight.

Some lines can be fairly long as well, so possibly getting a 6 or 7 line to fit on a 5/6 reel may be difficult.
Not knowing anything about your rod, I'd suggest taking your rod and reel to a fly shop in the south sound and have them help you select a line.
I'd suggest visiting Puget Sound Fly Co in Tacoma if you get a chance. Anil and his crew will be able to help you.
Good luck,
SF

Last edited:
Being a rod that most of us are not familiar with (or have cast) I think what SF suggests would be the way to go. Most shops have some beach lines spooled up that you could try, they'd have a good idea what might work with your rod. Good luck

Latest posts