Felt Soles Felt Soles Banned in Yellowstone National Park

In case you haven’t heard, felt soles for wading are being banned in the Park beginning this year.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/news/18010.htm

I would much rather see a requirement for cleaning and drying wading boots, and allowing the continued use of felts, but I see so many violations of the Park’s fishing regulations practically every time I go fishing there as it is, I’m not sure how effective that would be, or if it would be followed.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Thanks for the hedzup.
I'll have to find some cheap lightweight high tops with vibram soles if I ever go there, or where felt is banned. Unfortunately, I have some new Simms boots with felt soles that I purchased 3 years ago and have barely worn. They are like new.
Felt works on slick jetty rocks, but the stiffness of wading boots sucks when taking giant steps over the uneven jetty rocks. I prefer lighter, more flexible athletic shoes, on the rare occasions that I crawl out on the rocks.

New Zealand Mud Snails have been found at the Blue Slough access of the lower Chehalis River, about 25 miles from my house. If I launch there, I'll have to sterilize my canoe and waders, boots, and other stuff upon return home.

Last edited:

Rob Allen

In case you haven’t heard, felt soles for wading are being banned in the Park beginning this year.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/news/18010.htm

I would much rather see a requirement for cleaning and drying wading boots, and allowing the continued use of felts, but I see so many violations of the Park’s fishing regulations practically every time I go fishing there as it is, I’m not sure how effective that would be, or if it would be followed.

I'd much rather that governments stop telling people what to. This is a nonsense rule that accomplishes nothing.

Old406Kid

Take a look at the Korkers, you can find the Greenbacks for right at 100$, maybe less.
I bought a pair with the felt and also the rubber/aluminum bar option for more as a backup and they've become my go to boots.
korkers-greenback-boot-kling-on-and-studded-kling-on-soles_9.jpg

TYVM for the posting about felt soles and boat inspections (including float tubes).

This has been a long time in coming. Somes states have already implemented this restriction...

Time to check out Korkers. Any others quality brands that allow switching between rubber and felt soles worth considering?

I'm okay with tis regulation. But since nearly all the rivers in the park either flow out of the park or pass through the park, how will this really stop any invasive species ? Seems like a state wide ban would be required.
True, but it's a good start. I was only at a Park entrance long enough to get my license, and they busted two people carrying invasive mud snails.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I haven't worn my Korkers in almost 5 years now. Hell I don't even get wet when I fish anymore. I know where they are at so I can catch them from the bank. No hunting them down anymore.