Parts for a SA System 1 789 reel

mbowers

Just bought a used reel in "excellent condition" but upon receipt it's missing a pawl I believe. Should be two pawls and not just one. Any suggestions for where to get parts and maybe cost? Searching for 30 mins turned up nothing. I'm thinking the seller should pay at least half the cost of replacing the missing part.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
Typically only one pawl is engaged at any given time so your reel is still fully functional. The other pawl is more or less an extra should it be needed at some point in the future. Originally this design was called a duplicator.

Good luck on getting the seller to reimburse half the cost of the part.

TC

Last edited:
It is not uncommon for people to remove the unused pawl for safe keeping. The seller may have it stashed away and forgot he removed it or it may just be lost. It is not required for operation of the reel. If you change retrieve direction you will have to physically remove the pawl from the post it is on and move to the other post instead of disengaging one and engaging the other.

mbowers

Typically only one pawl is engaged at any given time so your reel is still fully functional. The other pawl is more or less an extra should it be needed at some point in the future. Good luck on getting the seller to reimburse half the cost of the part.

TC
I agree the reel is mostly functional but the other pawl does change the pretension on the other side so the reel behaves slightly differently with the second pawl. Plus it's a spare as you mention. If you bought a truck in excellent condition you would expect the factory spare tire to be still present wouldn't you?

We will see. It's an eBay purchase so if the seller won't step up, I'll see how eBay handles it.

mbowers

Follow up. Seller offered to refund cost of part, Archuleta hooked me up for $2 so I told seller not to worry about cost and I think everyone is happy. Some days everybody is a decent person!

Funny when I went to flip pawl to right handed it was already there, but for some reason the line guard was on the left hand retrieve side. The fly lines on spools were spooled right handed. Who knows what people think they're doing. If the line guard had been correctly adjusted with all the other adjustments for right hand I would never have looked at pawls close enough to notice one was missing.

One parting shot to the remove a pawl for safekeeping camp: that's like taking the spare tire out of your car and putting it in the garage for safekeeping. Sure it's safe but it's basically guaranteed not to be available when you need it!

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Latest posts