2018 Ocean Thread

Mingo

the Menehune stole my beer
Awww, Mingo, at first glance, that fish looks like it is just begging for you to kiss it...all puckered up as it is, but further scrutiny reveals that its eyes appear to be inscrutable, and not very inviting:D
Jim have you ever looked at their teeth? Just like piranha. With insanely strong jaws. I've had some pretty stout hooks snapped in half by them. You'd never think a fish like that would have such menacing teeth.

SilverFly

Jim have you ever looked at their teeth? Just like piranha. With insanely strong jaws. I've had some pretty stout hooks snapped in half by them. You'd never think a fish like that would have such menacing teeth.
On my first trip to the islands last year I took the approach that everything was potentially dangerous, no matter how innocent it looked. The reef is a tough 'hood. Anything that evolved to survive there isn't something to be trifled with.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Uh...no. thanks for the info. I've seen the teeth of other reef fish, and while snorkeling in Hanauma Bay, I have observed Parrot Fish apparently crunching coral.... Fishing and spear fishing were still allowed there in Hanauma Bay when our family first moved to Oahu back in early 1967. I speared some Kumu and Weke there, but never got a Parrot Fish. It didn't take long after the state made Hanauma into a preserve for the fish populations to spring back.

The area 2 salmon opener was pretty solid today

Had a salmon/rockfish combo trip so we headed to a yellowtail spot right off the bat and loaded up on the biggest yellowtail I've ever seen. Couldn't believe the grade of fish. Took us about twenty minutes to put out limits on board, and i was wishing i had the fly rod. Those fish were in about 270' of water but the top of the school was only about 30' down.

After that it took us a while to get the salmon dialed in. It's always a crap shoot on the opener since nobody has been out so knowing where the fish are is tough. Once we found them it wasn't red hot but it was a fairly steady bite. Had a lot of take downs that just didn't stick, some shakers, lost 5 nice fish and kept 4. Quality was pretty decent for the opener. Biggest was about 15 and smallest was maybe 7. The others were 11-13 lbs. Nothing huge, but a bit larger than openers past.

None for us but there was a good amount of coho caught out here today.

IMG_20180701_182721_831.jpg
FB_IMG_1530507197908.jpg

The area 2 salmon opener was pretty solid today

Had a salmon/rockfish combo trip so we headed to a yellowtail spot right off the bat and loaded up on the biggest yellowtail I've ever seen. Couldn't believe the grade of fish. Took us about twenty minutes to put out limits on board, and i was wishing i had the fly rod. Those fish were in about 270' of water but the top of the school was only about 30' down.

After that it took us a while to get the salmon dialed in. It's always a crap shoot on the opener since nobody has been out so knowing where the fish are is tough. Once we found them it wasn't red hot but it was a fairly steady bite. Had a lot of take downs that just didn't stick, some shakers, lost 5 nice fish and kept 4. Quality was pretty decent for the opener. Biggest was about 15 and smallest was maybe 7. The others were 11-13 lbs. Nothing huge, but a bit larger than openers past.

None for us but there was a good amount of coho caught out here today.

View attachment 172187 View attachment 172188
Gorgeous yellows. Those are my favorite eating of the rock fish species.

Chucker

Those are some serious yellowtail!

There was a gigantic scool of juvenile yellowtail on possession bar a few years ago. Got me dreaming about rockfish action in the sound, but I have seen no sign of them since.

Westport salmon season has been off to a great start for us this year. Anyone thinking of heading to the coast now would be a great time. Herring has been king the last few days. Find the birds and whales and work the water hard and it'll pay off. Back to the dock before noon today with a boatload of chinook, rockfish, and our first coho of the year. I don't know what it is but the kings have been fighting harder than I've ever experienced from ocean chinook. Makes for a fun time.

IMG_20180704_170746_568.jpg
IMG_20180704_160944_259.jpg
IMG_20180705_145300_500.jpg
IMG_20180704_124022439.jpg
IMG_20180704_095411822.jpg

Joepa

Joe from PA
Coho fishing was excellent for me also out of Neah Bay this past week. The coho are noticeably larger this year and there were also good numbers of them in the rips inside the Strait off Waadah, which is somewhat unusual this early (I typically don't find them in good numbers inside until mid-July). There are lots of them out at swiftsure. I had an epic day on the bank Thursday. Perfect conditions casting to a nice mix of hatchery and wild fish all morning. I was also encouraged to find lots of large black rockfish back in some of the more popular spots too, so things are looking up for a good season out there for those willing and able to make the trip. It's a special place.

Latest posts