Sage build quality....

snarlac

PS...I have 14 Sage rods from 1999 to 2016....all factory....and not a one has the type of flaw you mentioned. Ive never seen that on a rack either. So either you are picky as hell, or have a bum rod. Sage will satisfy you either way.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Richard E

Dude....its hard to tell if you're being picky without pictures. You may have no idea what you are talking about. Or you might. No one here can know from your not thrilled statement.

Doesn’t really matter what snarlac, I, or others feel about the quality. The original poster is the customer and needs to be happy.

Return the stick to Sage, via the fly shop. Done.

Rob Allen

Three years ago at the spey clave I looked at all the major production rods. I looked at blank straightness, thread wraps, cork, reel seat and guide alignment and at that time i felt that overall Sage was the best and thought it's too bad they pick the most hideous blank colors.
I have heard oh bad builds from each manufacturer. In the end even great companies products have the potential to be as poor as the worst worker on his worst day. Judging a company based on one experience may or may not be accurate. I think how they handle customers after the sale says a lot.

up2nogood

You sound like a reasonable person without unreasonable expectations. Sage quality is usually top notch. But, we should all remember these rods are built by humans, and therefore human error from time to time. The epoxiy application is done towards the end of the rod assembly/build process, so it could be overlooked.

Sage customer service rocks, and they'll take care of you. Like someone else opined, if you don't send it in, it will bug you as long as you own the rod. Have your fly shop return it for you.

I agree on the customer service, but their price increase on the older rods, out of production for 10 years or more, is a bit disheartening . $125 is a bit of a jump from the previous price of $75. I am sure there are plenty of reasons for this, I would think the abuse of the warranty system has to be the #1 reason.

snarlac

That seems to be their build quality at this time.
I had a top half section replaced and the bumps at the thread wraps is less than desirable...especially when placed on the lower half of the rod.
Was pretty bummed, as this was my first fly rod ever.
Ive had various rod repairs over the years including recently by Sage , butt to tip sections...and every one was perfect. So no, imperfections is not their current build quality. They do it right. Send your rod back, too.

FinLuver

Ive had various rod repairs over the years including recently by Sage , butt to tip sections...and every one was perfect. So no, imperfections is not their current build quality. They do it right. Send your rod back, too.

What...do you need photos?
Or do you just like to disagree with everyone who doesn't hold your opinion?
SMH...:rolleyes:

snarlac

What...do you need photos?
Or do you just like to disagree with everyone who doesn't hold your opinion?
SMH...:rolleyes:
No, asshole, you do. Ive seen and handled 100s of rods, and these two posts do not define the current build quality of Sage.

Latest posts