My first attempts at fly tying

Troutlife

EB68F9DC-2AAA-4157-938D-8D9280F02BC6.jpeg
1F23A934-673C-49C2-B149-6D8F92BD5798.jpeg My first two tries at fly tying... any suggestions on how to make a start bettering my technique? The olive started as a wooly bugger and then I misjudged the marabou and the pink is just me messing around-on that one I know that I should have cut the Maribou farther up so it would be bushier

Troutlife

I think I will when Ballinger is stocked. Going on the Sound tomorrow and will probably stick with store-bought versions but I might try the pink baitfish one for a little while just for the fun of using my own fly.

Eyejuggler

High bank poacher
Sorry for the bad image quality (and bad fly quality) but I will really appreciate any suggestions
Those will fish! Keep at it, play around, watch a ton of YouTube videos and go thru the SBS section of our board here.
http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/forums/fly-tying.12/?prefix_id=11

Check your local fly shop and see if they have classes, or simply pester them with questions, that's what makes our day!

Tips:
- Be sparing in thread use, tailor your thread size to the task, most patterns I tie are with 6/0 or 8/0 thread, but I will use Kevlar for abusive fish or conditions or tiny gsp for durability and keeping things tight.
- Don't crowd the hook eyes
- The tail should be roughly one hook shank in length.
- Have fun with tying and experiment A LOT! :)

AdrianM

I am no longer new here!
Intheriffle.com has tons of good videos. Start with one or two flies and get really good t at those and then start on some other ones. Take a class from a local club. If you are down there I’m Seattle you might have just missed the northwest fly club. They have what looks like a good trout variety class and inexpensive.

Reactions: dfl

Troutlife

image.jpg Again, sorry about the quality. This is another version of me messing around. Just wire, thread, and a few strands of peacock herl. Seems like it could get some trout in the right circumstances but at the moment I’m just neatening up my ties more than anything

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
There's some good advice above. Fish those flies and keep practicing. With time, knowing how much material to use, hook spacing, thread management, etc. become second nature. Using the natural/uncut material tips for tails renders a more streamlined pattern outline. Attempting to conserve material is a natural inclination of new tyers, and trying to avoid tossing what seems to be usable material/feathers/herl ends is a natural reaction to what is inevitably inherent to the fly tying process.

Your initial efforts look better than mine of some 60+ years ago - I left a fly on the kitchen table so my Dad would see it when he came home from work. My Mom saw it first, swatted it with a rolled-up newspaper and threw it away. I reckon it must have looked "buggy," lol. Welcome to the addiction. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and you will be more critical of your efforts than others, but effectiveness is always in the eyes of the fish. It's refreshing to see a new addition to the ranks of the fly-tying game.

As my Dad told me early-on: "There are flies that catch fish and flies that catch fishermen. Those will catch fish. In time, you will be able to tie the other kind so don't even worry about that now." Those shown WILL catch fish.

ScottP

View attachment 165258 Again, sorry about the quality. This is another version of me messing around. Just wire, thread, and a few strands of peacock herl. Seems like it could get some trout in the right circumstances but at the moment I’m just neatening up my ties more than anything
The first smallie flies I tied were rough versions of yours; they caught fish. Keep at it; practice may never make perfect, but it makes better.

Regards,
Scott

Last edited:

Steve Saville

Your flies will work but as suggested, watch some videos. I've been at it for more than 30 years and am continually learning new tying techniques. One suggestion I can make is to use less material. In my opinion, sparsely tied flies seem to catch more fish and they appear to the human eye, better. Too much thread and too many tail fibers tend to not look natural. Another thought is that one needs to keep thread wraps smooth to make a smoother profile. keep at it! It will come and don't be afraid to cut off the material and start over. I can't begin to tell you how many poorly tied flies I have from early years because I was afraid to start over.

AdrianM

I am no longer new here!
One thing that will improve every fly you tie is to use consistent thread tension all the time. Another good set of videos is Kelly Galloups videos. I learned a lot about basic tying and pattern specific tips too.

FinLuver

As my Dad told me early-on: "There are flies that catch fish and flies that catch fishermen. Those will catch fish. In time, you will be able to tie the other kind so don't even worry about that now." Those shown WILL catch fish.
As Jim states, your flies will catch fish.
Here's what one looks like after about 15 fish. If it looks like this and still is catchin' fish...
Mess.jpg

Keep on tyin'... :)

Mark Mercer

Good start and some great advice, these will all catch fish. Proportions are one of the hardest things to get but will come with time. Don't be in a hurry and if something doesn't look right to you, do it over till it does and buy good materials, it will pay off down the road. Good luck and have fun !

Jiminsandiego

I recently started the hobby. I watched a lot of youtube videos for just Wholly Buggers. I actually watched the videos while tying, pausing the video throughout the steps. My first attempts look much different than my most recent, and I feel that I'm close to the ones in the videos. Semi Seal leaches are said to be very effective and are very easy to tie. The material is quite affordable and the company has a good video on how to tie one. It has been fun catching fish on flies that I tied.

Latest posts