Dad, when are you going to take me fishing?..

A.A.

My daughter (7) had been begging for weeks. So it finally worked out to take her and my son (10) out on the Umpqua on Saturday.

Beautiful lucky green water on St. Patrick’s Day. Pizza already cooking in the bow. Headed downstream...
B5FF115B-E88D-4377-BCEA-C60D9D42626C.jpeg

Perfect drift. These kids learn fast...
39E4D242-34C4-4945-BC2D-079538B120A0.jpeg

(And no, my kids don’t swing flies, so don’t even go there!) So, about 15 min into our drift, my daughter caught a 10” rainbow. “Oh good” I thought, “at least we didn’t get skunked”. Then, 15 min later my daughter hooked into the real deal!
5A11AB26-1851-4B8B-84F7-FF94E203EDED.png

She fought it for a few minutes, then handed the rod off to my son because she was getting tired. He managed to bring it to the boat. Awesome team! And their first ever steelhead! 14 lb native buck.
0F9C45F8-0431-4B14-8395-B6ED782BDBFA.jpeg

So we released the fish. Ate pizza, then headed back to the ramp while having dessert.
7946AA42-44E0-458B-8A84-DCC89102ACE7.jpeg
85D92A7E-9705-45DF-99ED-0D3DFEF6775B.jpeg

The whole trip lasted a little over an hour. Perfect for short attention spans! Tonight they were both asking “Dad, when are going fishing again?”
I bought my son some waders to put to use learning to fly fish for trout this spring. My daughter has already hooked bluegill on a fly rod. I love being a dad!

My daughter (7) had been begging for weeks. So it finally worked out to take her and my son (10) out on the Umpqua on Saturday.

Beautiful lucky green water on St. Patrick’s Day. Pizza already cooking in the bow. Headed downstream...
View attachment 165482

Perfect drift. These kids learn fast...
View attachment 165483

(And no, my kids don’t swing flies, so don’t even go there!) So, about 15 min into our drift, my daughter caught a 10” rainbow. “Oh good” I thought, “at least we didn’t get skunked”. Then, 15 min later my daughter hooked into the real deal!
View attachment 165484

She fought it for a few minutes, then handed the rod off to my son because she was getting tired. He managed to bring it to the boat. Awesome team! And their first ever steelhead! 14 lb native buck.
View attachment 165485

So we released the fish. Ate pizza, then headed back to the ramp while having dessert.
View attachment 165486
View attachment 165487

The whole trip lasted a little over an hour. Perfect for short attention spans! Tonight they were both asking “Dad, when are going fishing again?”
I bought my son some waders to put to use learning to fly fish for trout this spring. My daughter has already hooked bluegill on a fly rod. I love being a dad!

Brings back memories from when I took my kids fishing, great times! Enjoy this time, they grow up way to fast.

Earl

Fantastic. My grandaughter has been asking about fishing. She's 5 and has caught trout on three different occasions. She asks about her brother but he's only 2 so it will be couple of years for him. I can hardly wait! Great job, dad!:)

AdrianM

I am no longer new here!
I literally just texted my wife that I can't wait to take my kids camping/fishing. You are a great dad and that is a memory that will last forever. wow, 14# hog!!! Nice work! That's a nice unicorn!

Latest posts