3/4 or 5/6 Spey, Skagit Head Recommendations

Mike22

Looking to mix up my streamer fishing, and I heard that Angler's Roost (ARE) make cheap spey rods for those who are unsure about two-handers. This will be for trout on medium/large rivers, casting 2-3inch sculpzilla type flies. I use 5 and 6 wt single handers on these rivers, but I am not sure how spey rod weights correlate to single handers.

This is the 3/4 rod: http://theanglersroost.com/products...foot-34-wt-im-6-graphite-fly-rod-with-2-tips/

This is the 5/6 rod: http://theanglersroost.com/products...t-graphite-fly-rod-great-for-steelheadsalmon/

After choosing between the 3/4 or 5/6, my research tells me I should be pairing it with a Skagit type head (and sink tip) for deeper streamer fishing. Since OPST seems to have a wide variety of choices I figured I would start there: http://www.opskagit.com/store.html#!/Pure-Skagit-Commando-Head/p/51800109/category=7107639

I would also be interested in recommendations for a cheap integrated line instead.

It doesn't look like the Angler's Roost gives any grain size recommendations, so I was hoping I could get some educated guesses from one of you. This is merely a taste test for me, so I just want to create one set-up that will work well enough to give me the general feel.

Last edited:

Tom Palmer

The normal rule of thumb for converting trout spey/switch ratings to single hand is to bump up three line sizes.
2wt spey = 5wt single hand
3wt spey = 6wt single hand
4wt spey = 7wt single hand

Of course it's not an exact science since manufacturers tend to rate rods differently. The action on the Anglers roost rods you listed is on the softer side. For the 3/4 you are looking at OPST heads in the 175 to 200 range (email them for recommendation). This will translate to about a strong 4 or 5wt in the single hand range. The 5/6 is a much stronger rod and and would compare with a single hand 7 or 8 wt. Nice for summer steelhead but overkill for trout.

As for inexpensive integrated lines, just use your existing trout lines first. If you go for the 3/4 throw on your favorite line you currently use for your single handers and see how it fishes. The same OPST head can be used on your single handers too!

I have built quite a few ARE blanks over the past few years, and the IM6 blanks are excellent for the money. I have not built either of the 2 you are looking at, but am working on the IM6 12ft 2/3wt, which I will be mainly using as a trout spey. For line pairings their is a good database over on spey pages, or you could contact Steve Godshall at Meiser Rods, as he is an expert at pairing lines to the ARE rods.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

bjornjon

I would consider the Airflo Skagit Scout as well. I run a 330 grain Skagit Scout on my Echo TR 4113 and it casts small-medium streamers effortlessly with 10’ t-8. I have really enjoyed fishing that setup.

cmann886

I have the 3/4 in the UHM 12’ rod. For the sculpzilla type streamers I prefer either a 270 grain Orvis bankshot or a 4 wt Rio Scandi body and 12 lb fluorocarbon tippit. If I fish a similar sized wnweighted fly, I add the Rio replacement tip. I have but don’t have as extensive use with a 200 gr trout skagit combined with 5 ‘ of lead core line. The Gorge Flyshop had the Rio Scandi body in a 4 wt. awhile back and is worth giving them a look. For soft hackle flies I like a 210 gr scandi line.

I will look and see if zI can find steve godshsslls recommendations for lines for these rods. I believe Johnny supplied one when I bought the kit.

cmann886

E14A14E6-C15F-45DA-A70D-5CC0B0902224.jpeg
I have the 3/4 in the UHM 12’ rod. For the sculpzilla type streamers I prefer either a 270 grain Orvis bankshot or a 4 wt Rio Scandi body and 12 lb fluorocarbon tippit. If I fish a similar sized wnweighted fly, I add the Rio replacement tip. I have but don’t have as extensive use with a 200 gr trout skagit combined with 5 ‘ of lead core line. The Gorge Flyshop had the Rio Scandi body in a 4 wt. awhile back and is worth giving them a look. For soft hackle flies I like a 210 gr scandi line.

I will look and see if zI can find steve godshsslls recommendations for lines for these rods. I believe Johnny supplied one when I bought the kit.
This is what Steve Godshall Recommends for the various Anglers Roost Rods:

For the 12 foot IM6 5/6 (which seems to me like a 5-weight... maybe 5 1/4), I've used Skagit heads from 325 to about 363 grains. I believe that a 350 grain would be dead on.

Latest posts