Chironomid Tips Please

b_illymac

Member Active
And if you put a slotted bead on a 90 degree jig hook you will have a horizontal hang with no pin.

Interestingly enough, the last time I watched Jerry McBride (balanced fly originator) tie at the Ellensburg Fly Fair a couple of years ago, he still ties his balanced flies on standard hooks.
I've done this yes...but you dont always have beads easily slide over the 90 degree bend. Can be tricky matching beads to hooks...

Shawn Seeger

(aka. wabowhunter)
Let's stir this up a bit...since this is the quintessential post on "bobber" fishing let's look at balanced leeches.

Why? Because I have some and have never fished them. Any wisdom to share on this? Or should we start another post on them...?
Roper, this was the first time I spent some real time tying and trying the pin version of the balances leach, and let's just say I will be doing this more and again!

I tied some the same as my micro leeches and some laterl versions, both were great producers.

I used mine under an indicator with a small chironomid on top. The days they produced the best was when the wind was made it harder to see indicator for chironomid. Also a twitched with small strip retrieve was pretty deadly.

Attachments

I've done this yes...but you dont always have beads easily slide over the 90 degree bend. Can be tricky matching beads to hooks...
Never had a problem matching beads. If it doesn’t fit you are possibly putting too big of a bead on the hook. Just go up one size with the hook or down with the bead. Hooks are not that much larger (about one hook eye longer) and it would give you more hook gap.

I use Mustad 32833bln and Daiichi 4660 hooks and no problems.

b_illymac

Member Active
Never had a problem matching beads. If it doesn’t fit you are possibly putting too big of a bead on the hook. Just go up one size with the hook or down with the bead. Hooks are not that much larger (about one hook eye longer) and it would give you more hook gap.

I use Mustad 32833bln and Daiichi 4660 hooks and no problems.
Respectfully based on my experiance it can be a problem. I've had slotted beads where 1/3 the pack will slide over the 90 degree bend and the rest wouldn't more then once with different manufacturers of beads. If you go with a smaller bead you have even less room getting over the 90 degree bend so not sure how that helps?

I'm not bashing 90 degree hooks as I use them for flies like this (Mustad 32833bln and Hareline Bead). I'm just stating a problem I've come across.
Screenshot_20180404-185202.png
With the 60 degree hook and a slotted beads I can fit 3 different size beads on the same hook so they sink faster or slower as I want. For example 3.0, 3.5, 4.0 mm beads on a size 10 jig hook. In my book another plus for 60 degree hooks and slotted beads...

Here is a 60 degree hook bugger jig type for under an indicator:
Screenshot_20180404-185851.png

Buzzy

Roper, this was the first time I spent some real time tying and trying the pin version of the balances leach, and let's just say I will be doing this more and again!

I tied some the same as my micro leeches and some laterl versions, both were great producers.

I used mine under an indicator with a small chironomid on top. The days they produced the best was when the wind was made it harder to see indicator for chironomid. Also a twitched with small strip retrieve was pretty deadly.
Shawn - that simple photographs speaks volumes, what do they say about a picture? Thanks!
I marked my lines with nail polish; one stripe at 10’, two stripes at 20, and so on. A sharpie would probably work as well.
No issue with the polish affecting the finish of the line? Pretty durable? I think McGiver would give you a high five.

One other little trick I have used when fishing a full sink vertically: after the first measurement of bottom using a hemostat or whatever gets you down quickly, I would tie in a short length of monofilament around the fly line between the reel and stripping guide (something like 4X). That way after catching a fish I wouldn't have to remeasure depth. Wish I could take credit for this McGiver idea.

No issue with the polish affecting the finish of the line? Pretty durable? I think McGiver would give you a high five.
No, IIRC I marked my clear intermediate and light colored floating line with a black sharpie as I like to know how much line is out. The dark colored full sink lines I used a red nail polish, applied sparingly.

Sweet tip @Buzzy. It's listed on their website. Gonna pick one up today. Really appreciate all of your help!!
Now I need to find a smaller lake around here for my pontoon. Went to Cavanaugh (local Arlington area lake) the other day and that lake is way bigger than I had thought.
Thanks

Buzzy

For fun I checked acreage: 833 acres - that is big for a pontoon (or my pram) but maybe you can dissect it to smaller sections? I fished a 20 acre lake two days ago - kicking around in my float tube and by days end (only 2:0o PM) I was worn out. Good luck and hope the new line works well for you!

Pat

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
Jamie,
Though pretty big, Goodwin puts out some nice bows.
There are some other smaller year round lakes like Shoecraft that you might enjoy better in your pontoon.
SF

Latest posts