Been lurking for a while-Started fishing later in life than most

Lymitliss

I've been lurking on the forum for a handful of months now and thought I might make an official "New guy" post, since it looks like I'll be sticking around for a while.

My name is Lucas, I'm a 28 year old Honda Master Technician currently living in Shoreline. It seems to me that the majority of people that fish started at a young age, and were often taught by an enthusiast of an older generation. This was definitely not the case for me.

My story starts little less than a year ago, when my mother passed away completely unexpectedly. This left me completely distraught and out of sorts to say the very least. Perhaps the part that bothered me the most was the inexplicable uneasy feeling I had for about a week leading up to it that I wasn't able to put my finger on until afterwards. Without getting into too much detail, I began to do some basic research on the matter and it was suggested that I pick an outdoor activity to not only help become more in-tune with myself, but with nature, the universe and whatever it may be trying to tell us from time to time. This is where fishing comes in, after many years of curiosity.

Without having the slightest clue as to gear or technique, I headed down to the nearest Cabelas store and picked myself my first spinning rod, got ahold of an acquaintance (who eventually turned into a pretty good friend) and started fishing the local lakes and rivers together.

This basically brings us to present time, just under a year and upwards of 14 rods (3 fly rods and several gear, what can I say, I got bit by the fishing bug hard) later here I am. Still very green to the hobby, but eager to learn. Although I can't honestly say if fishing has helped me become more aware of my surroundings or not, one thing is for sure-
My girlfriend HATES the fact that I have a spare bedroom full of fishing rods, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

SilverFly

Welcome Lucas. My condolences for losing your Mom. You made a great choice though in taking up fishing (gear or fly) for all the reasons you mentioned and more.

Also good to know we have a Honda Master Tech on the board (get ready to field some questions). I have plenty of respect for your profession. I loath working on newer cars. They're almost as bad, if not worse, than the "appliances from hell" I deal with in the semiconductor biz.

Last edited:

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
My condolences re: your Mother, Lucas.

Welcome to both WFF and to the fishing pursuit/addiction. In time, your GF will accept the "fishing room" concept. This is important and makes your entry to the fly-tying aspect much easier:D. Enjoy & have fun!

Swimmy

Riffle > Run > Pool
Welcome.

If you haven't already go ahead and start putting together your fishing resume. This will come in handy when reaching out to new fishing partners.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Sorry for your loss. And welcome to the best Fly Fishing site on the WWW.

The bug kind of bit you hard. I'm sure there are people on here that live in your area and would be glad to help you down this road to being broke for all the gear you need for fishing.

Lucas, I'm sorry for your loss. I can only imagine what that is like. I'm very glad you picked up fishing . It's a fantastic way to see the world, look at the world, and look within oneself. It has had a big part in guiding the course of my life. There's never a late too late to start. Sounds like you're in whole hog. That's a good thing. If I can ever be of any service feel free to ask.

Welcome aboard and sorry for your loss.

As far as the gf goes, you need to start setting expections earlier in the relationship.....like saying on the first date one of your life goals is to own over 50+ fishing rods ;)
SF
This is great advice. I will routinely behave shittier than normal and keep empty rod cases around to masquerade as cases with rods in them. If she sticks around you know you're good.

Side note: My lady asked me how many fishing rods I had and if I needed them. My reply, "don't ever ask me about my fishing rods again or I may begin to question the number of horses a lady needs and begin culling the herd."
She has never asked about my boats or rods since. Chicks love their horses more than their mates, and you your rods. It's science. Use this knowledge to further your cause.

Latest posts