NFR Edible Mushrooms

Anytime i ever found a bunch of big Boletes the fly agarics and cousins were nearby...I ate boletes once...They were almost always buggy...never lost that impression toward them...

The reputation that follows Amanita muscaria is a bit over blown. Its toxins (ibotenic acid/muscimol) are water soluble and in the very rare case of fatality, large amounts have been consumed.

Amanita phalloides and Amanita ocreata are two PNW mushrooms that will have dire outcomes (death, need for a liver transplant) with even small amounts, like half of a cap. Unfortunately they don't have a distinct appearance like amanita muscaria. They look like any generic white mushroom.

Last edited:

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I have been mushroom hunting the past few weeks. Looks like the Matsutakes are all done for the year out here along the beaches. I only found one good one last week, and a few similar-looking imposters. Found a couple of good Lactarius deliciouses ("Saffron Milk Cap"), and one nice King Bolete. Might go ride some trails in the pine forests today on my fat-bike, and see what I can see. My area has been picked over pretty hard. I will harvest any good ones I find.

Last week, I found some of those pale yellow Amanitas with white gills like the ones in your pic, and they looked almost inviting, so I ripped them out of the ground and tossed them into the bushes, so some less knowledgable novice mushroomer wouldn't mess with 'em.

Once years ago, I ate some yellow-gilled mushrooms with a yellow/tan cap that we called Man-on-Horseback. Tricholoma equestre, I think. They weren't bad. I fried them up with some Lactarius deliciouses. Later I heard that they should be avoided, due to having variable toxicity.

Found a brown Shaggy Parasol out near my compost pile. Edible, but a little too far gone.

The reputation that follows Amanita muscaria is a bit over blown. Its toxins (ibotenic acid/muscimol) are water soluble and in the very rare case of fatality, large amounts have been consumed.

Amanita phalloides and Amanita ocreata are two PNW mushrooms that will have dire outcomes (death, need for a liver transplant) with even small amounts, like half of a cap. Unfortunately they don't have a distinct appearance like amanita muscaria. They look like any generic white mushroom.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Didn't find squat. I brought a Suillus glandulosipes home to get a positive ID on it. "Probably edible," the guidebook hazards to say, say but I'm not going o be a guinea pig this evening. It made a good mini-frisbee off my back porch, after I removed the stem. I noticed that someone had harvested a king bolete and sliced it up.... and just left it there....i didn't see any worms...solid white flesh...what a waste! I left my walking stick leaning against a tree...now I'll have to go back and retrieve that!

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
David Aroura says they are Delicious if you boil them twice for 15 minutes changing the water after the first boil. Then sauté them like you would any edible mushroom. I personally do not eat anything from the Aminita family. They are also a marker for King Boletes.
I would not try eating those, either, even though David Aroura is a respected expert in the field. I see a lot of those Amanita muscaria in the local state parks. King boletes are scarce out here, these days. It seems like the local state parks are common destinations for area mushroom hunters...and any edible shrooms that pop up are quickly harvested. Seems like there's a lot of mushroom hunters on the prowl. I only harvest enough for a couple of meals "each" year. I'm just getting back into it, as it fits in with my fat-bike riding on forest trails.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
psilocybe cyanescens
We had the cubensis variety in Hawaii, growing on cowpies. DAMHIK I will never forget a memorable day bodysurfing at 6' Pipeline with only two other surfers in the water, after foraging near Laniakea on the way there. I swear that I was whipping off my third butterfly stroke on top of the foam ball deep within the tube in my determination to make the wave, when the compression just exploded and shot me out like a cannon ball right into the two other surfers who at that moment were sitting way out on the shoulder observing the action. I collided with one of them. They were pissed. I told them to fuck off, and swam back out. They went in to the beach. I put on a one man show until the lifeguard came out for "water patrol." Then it was just the two of us trading off rides at the Pipe. Doesn't get much better than that! This was around 1977 or '78, and I can play the memory back to myself like a vid whenever.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
[QUOTE="Jim
Loved body surfing too. In my 20's and 30's on Kauai. Brennecke's and the beach near my house in Anahola.Sandy beach on Oahu.
I flew over to Kauai and bodysurfed at Brennecke's once around 1975. Was only about 3' to 4' but was a really fun wave, and a friendly crew of locals. On Oahu, I was a regular at Sandy Beach from 1967 thru early '79. Spent a lot of time at Makapu'u, too. I loved bodysurfing and surfing...IMHO it is among the best of pass-times! I surfed all over Oahu, but did not ride Waimea or "big" waves, but stuck to smaller waves up to 10' or so, which can be powerful enough. I had my ass kicked at 10' Sunset where a wave held me down so long that I nearly blacked out and didn't think I was going to make it back to the surface. Never give up! But enough is enough!
I got to enjoy perfect little 3' left-peeling barrels at the far end of Hanakapiai Beach one day, wearing only one duck foot, which I had borrowed from another hiker, who ended up shouting and waving at me from the beach so that he could get his fin back for his hike back out. I tried to ignore him but finally cried out, "Just one more wave! I promise!" (Uh-huh).
I enjoyed the NW surf breaks for many years, too.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I have fond memories of bodysurfing across large "scratchy" patches of brown limu that were being pushed into the surf zone at Sandy Beach. Sometimes there would be so much of it that the entire wave would be brown, almost more of the seaweed than water in the mix. The place could get crowded. One time, I had a high speed collision with another bodysurfer and broke a couple of ribs, but made it up the beach before my lung collapsed. That got me 5 days in the hospital.
Once, when waiting for the tide to change, hoping that would improve the surf, I got suckered into a "sandlot" football game with a bunch of guys from Waimanalo. I was knocked unconscious by a flying Hawaiian mere moments after snagging a fumble and starting to run. That ended the game for me, and I have never let myself get suckered into playing football since then. That was way back around 1971.

Nice king under. It's been my nemesis for a while, found a few but always old and wormy. The winter chanterelles are out here in the valley bottom. One of my favorites.
Fin

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I'm going to go ride a skinny trail in a mixed forest (mainly beach pines, spruce, alders, crabapples) that isn't a popular mushroomers location, since its relatively in the boonies and not real close to any State Park facilities or parking areas. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a good King.

Latest posts