NFR Edible Mushrooms

Since the subject is edible mushrooms perhaps I shouldn't include this except, perhaps, as a warning. In a local yard, only about a block away, there is an annual fruiting of Amanita muscaria. Normally listed as poisonous, it is psychoactive with some seriously unpleasant side affects (Tom Robbins describes some of them of them as "alternating periods of hilarity and deep depression, and a headache from beyond the land of Excedrin").
View attachment 183025 View attachment 183026 View attachment 183027 View attachment 183028
David Aroura says they are Delicious if you boil them twice for 15 minutes changing the water after the first boil. Then sauté them like you would any edible mushroom. I personally do not eat anything from the Aminita family. They are also a marker for King Boletes.

David Aroura says they are Delicious if you boil them twice for 15 minutes changing the water after the first boil. Then sauté them like you would any edible mushroom. I personally do not eat anything from the Aminita family. They are also a marker for King Boletes.
The toxins in amanita muscaria are water soluble. I have a cook book with a recipe that uses it and I’ll probably give it a try the next time I find some in good shape.

Hign Times magazine had an article about the history of the Beserkers...those crazy blood thirsty Vikings purportedly high on amanita muscaria...the deal it the level of toxicity...One near one tree might kill ya another 6' away may not,,,Have a friend , still alive that was as experimental as i and my friends were back in the 70's...he was more so...a crazy bastich... hiking in the indian heaven part of GPNF and he apparently decided to sample a wee wedge of a purty bright red warty shroom, later contemplating everything until he came down...Ha!...he is a marathon runner today...old crazy fart...this is a second hand story...I don't think I was up there with him ? Hell, maybe jamma knows the real story?

jwg

Hign Times magazine had an article about the history of the Beserkers...those crazy blood thirsty Vikings purportedly high on amanita muscaria...the deal it the level of toxicity...One near one tree might kill ya another 6' away may not,,,Have a friend , still alive that was as experimental as i and my friends were back in the 70's...he was more so...a crazy bastich... hiking in the indian heaven part of GPNF and he apparently decided to sample a wee wedge of a purty bright red warty shroom, later contemplating everything until he came down...Ha!...he is a marathon runner today...old crazy fart...this is a second hand story...I don't think I was up there with him ? Hell, maybe jamma knows the real story?
Just read a Bernard Cornwell historical novel that had mention of the Vikings in north England.,circa AD 1000? Sometimes using concoctions to alter their minds before battle.

Did my share of the same...but not for battle, more like head movies...the colors! Mushrooms beyond the pre illegal scrounging cow patty fields around bellingham in the 70's I picked chanterelles and Pacific puffball mushrooms and later me and old friend Dan RIP, seeded spore for Morels and a couple years later feasted on them for a season 50' away from the old burning pile we sowed in...Since then...clear cutting eliminated old picking sites and a change of scenery ...and to be honest never had recognition skills and knowledge to pick with confidence...I am hard enough on my liver...