Let's have another "pick on WDFW" thread

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
I mean, this could very well be a hatchery fish, which is fine. But I bet 90% of the viewers don't know/care/understand why that detail would matter. I've seen far too many people who think this type of fish handling is perfectly fine for trout catch & release.

Additionally, this isn't Bass Masters. Stop trying to hold trout like a bass. You look like a tool.

upload_2018-4-4_10-19-0.png

the_grube

You mean sticking your fingers through the gill slits of a fish with the fish hoisted 4-5' above the ground for a glory shot is bad form? Ughhh, wdfw lowers their own bar once again....
On another note, is it just me, or does the hook set on that fish look strange? It appears to be upside down and in the roof of the mouth just behind the upper lip? Could it be the whole thing was staged? And, could it be there's another fisherperson behind a grassy knoll?

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
On another note, is it just me, or does the hook set on that fish look strange?
well, those light spoons kind of flutter and flip around this way and that, it's not a static hook positioning, so it could potentially stick them in a weird spot like that.

Buzzy

WDFW's PR staff certainly are out of touch with the typical fly fisher and our typical methods for handling fish we release. But please, if you stop by, don't ask to see my "hero shots" photo albums, a few, uh, are not kosher by today's standards.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
WDFW's PR staff certainly are out of touch with the typical fly fisher and our typical methods for handling fish we release. But please, if you stop by, don't ask to see my "hero shots" photo albums, a few, uh, are not kosher by today's standards.
I typically don't do hero shots anymore. Just dead fish photos... but I make sure it's visibly not a wild fish. and I don't send the photo to potentially hundreds of thousands of people.

My main issue is displaying shitty fish handling in a situation where it may be implied the fish was released. A completely dead fish... totally fine by me. But I see shots like this one on the social medias with captions along the lines of "safely released unharmed!" and they're dead ass serious.

Paul_

I don’t have an issue with it.

I see an angler who has caught a nice fish and is excited about it. I’ll just assume it’s a hatchery fish and it is being taken home to a BBQ.

JACKspASS

We are assuming this is a native rainbow, hatched out of a pure mountain stream meadow, escaped all the perils of natural stream/lake selection, only to be fooled by a casual angler with a shiny object. Such a disgrace for WDFW to show the demise of a precious resource at the hands of a knuckle dragging gear fisherman......that fish should have a size 16 Adams with 5x tipped hanging out of the upper portion of that fishes jaw, while at the same time being held atleast 2' under water.

Good grief :eek::D

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
We are assuming this is a native rainbow, hatched out of a pure mountain stream meadow, escaped all the perils of natural stream/lake selection, only to be fooled by a casual angler with a shiny object. Such a disgrace for WDFW to show the demise of a precious resource at the hands of a knuckle dragging gear fisherman......that fish should have a size 16 Adams with 5x tipped hanging out of the upper portion of that fishes jaw, while at the same time being held atleast 2' under water.

Good grief :eek::D
Considering I am a knuckledragging gear fisherman killing most my catch about 80% of the time on the water these days, your assumptions about me aren't quite accurate.

But given my line of work, I get hundreds of fish photos on my desk weekly... and the number of people that think catch and release with the above techniques is ok is mind boggling. They do it because they see it done other places. I'm just saying maybe WDFW should show a better example, or show something that's obviously a harvested fish.

But mostly, the dude looks like a tool holding it like it's a largemouth bass. That's what really offends me.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info