A casual reminder

jfilip85

I’ve been actively buying/ selling on this forum for 5 years now. Rods, lines, reels, clothes, you name it and as a bonus I’ve met some fantastic people in the process. I’ve had so many great experiences over the years that at some point, I began to let my guard down.

Well, last week I finally got burned.

Now, I’m not saying that this is the first time that something went “wrong” necessarily. I’ve bought and sold items that somewhere down the line expectations were not being met. Thankfully, we were always able to reach a resolution. Whether that was sending a few bucks back to the buyer, a full-blown return, or sweetening the deal with some extras to smooth things over. This sort of mutual desire to keep both parties happy is one of the many things that makes this community so great.

I recently purchased a rod where I noticed a few things weren’t as described and were conveniently left out during my discussions with the seller. When I approached the seller, he got defensive and then ultimately cut off communication before a resolution could be reached.

Should I have asked more questions about specifics that mattered to me? Yep. Should I have asked for more photos? Definitely. But my guard was down and I trusted the seller at least enough to think he would try and make it right if any discrepancies arose.

For how many transactions I’ve made over the past 5 years – I guess my batting average is still pretty damn solid. And I shouldn’t let this one bad experience spoil the rest. But the saying goes “once bitten, twice shy.”

So as a reminder to you all, if there are things that matter to you about a specific product, ask clearly. And always get enough photos to prove to you that the product is in fact as described.

weiliwen

Kicked
Very sorry to hear this. May I assume you have 1) contacted the Admin, and 2) paid via PayPal so you can submit a claim through them (not useful if you used "friends and family, of course)?

scifidelity

A good reminder. Sorry this happened to you. Other forums I’m on have a blacklist of sorts. It’s self moderated/ governed in that sense. Another idea is to give sellers ratings via buyer feedback like on eBay.

jfilip85

I unfortunately (read "foolishly") sent as friends and family.

I really like the idea of a rating of some sort. I'm guessing that's been suggested at some point and that there's a reason why we don't have it, but maybe I'm wrong?

I've thought long and hard about exposing this seller publicly but ultimately decided to go this route. He knows who he is and maybe when he reads this, he will handle his next transaction differently. The problem with the rod is fixable and it will cost me money to do so. Nothing substantial, but definitely something. At this point, the way the issue was handled has overshadowed the problem itself.

ramset

I'm always leery of a seller's request for $ via pp friends/family. There is no safeguard in place for the buyer. I too am in favor of a rating of sorts. Buying, selling, and just being decent to each other

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Rather then a rating system, I’d like to see a requirement of something like 50 posts prior being able to post in the classifieds forum.
Some folks just come here to sell items but really never contribute anything else to the board itself.
They really have no interest in WFF itself other then to sell things, which I guess is ok with some folks.

They do the 50 post requirement on another board I frequent and it seems to work out well.

I’ve bought and sold a number of things here and never had any issue.

Just my two cents....
SF

Bowbonehead

And a good two cents it is , never really thought about the friends and family thing.... but I will think of it going forward..... and to this date nothing but good transactions.... knock on wood

up2nogood

Rather then a rating system, I’d like to see a requirement of something like 50 posts prior being able to post in the classifieds forum.
Some folks just come here to sell items but really never contribute anything else to the board itself.
They really have no interest in WFF itself other then to sell things, which I guess is ok with some folks.

They do the 50 post requirement on another board I frequent and it seems to work out well.

I’ve bought and sold a number of things here and never had any issue.

Just my two cents....
SF
They did that on another fishing forum I frequent. They started a premium forum, where you could only post after so many posts. It upset a lot of members that didn't want to just bump up their number of post to be able to get on the premium, and would be missing out on a lot of topics they could not see. Its seems to be quieted down now, but its been a couple years.

My thoughts on a post requirement is, we could very possibly miss out on a lot of good fishing equipment or whatever, simply because the seller is not eligible, and never will be. If someone wants to sell quality items, I don't care if thats all they do here.

I think with a little caution ,and some of the tips by OP this problem is pretty avoidable. We seldom read of an issue. I too have bought on here for a few years without issue. PayPal is our friend if used right. I have bought a couple items where they insisted on friend, and family, which I did. I now know thats not the best way to go. The times I did it cost me, and not the seller in fees. In the future whatever those fees are I will cover the cost of the fees in the purchase if necessary, to be protected with paypal

Not long ago I purchased an item, and messed up on the friends, and family. The seller was adamant, and was not willing to ship it, and would return my money, because of the seven extra dollars it cost him in paypal fees, I sent him the seven, was not that big of deal. Received the item as advertised.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
They did that on another fishing forum I frequent. They started a premium forum, where you could only post after so many posts. It upset a lot of members that didn't want to just bump up their number of post to be able to get on the premium, and would be missing out on a lot of topics they could not see. Its seems to be quieted down now, but its been a couple years.

My thoughts on a post requirement is, we could very possibly miss out on a lot of good fishing equipment or whatever, simply because the seller is not eligible, and never will be. If someone wants to sell quality items, I don't care if thats all they do here.

I think with a little caution ,and some of the tips by OP this problem is pretty avoidable. We seldom read of an issue. I too have bought on here for a few years without issue. PayPal is our friend if used right. I have bought a couple items where they insisted on friend, and family, which I did. I now know thats not the best way to go. The times I did it cost me, and not the seller in fees. In the future whatever those fees are I will cover the cost of the fees in the purchase if necessary, to be protected with paypal

Not long ago I purchased an item, and messed up on the friends, and family. The seller was adamant, and was not willing to ship it, and would return my money, because of the seven extra dollars it cost him in paypal fees, I sent him the seven, was not that big of deal. Received the item as advertised.
Maybe you are right.
It might take just too much effort to actually type something fishing related like a report, pattern, technique etc if it interfered with their ability to buy or sell something here, which is likely their only purpose.
SF

Last edited:

up2nogood

Maybe you are right.
It might take just too much effort to actually type something fishing related like a report, pattern, technique etc if it interfered with their ability to buy or sell something here, which is likely their only purpose.
SF
I don't pay a lot of attention to the sellers, but sure there is one in particular that just buys, and sells. Not sure I have ever seen him post anywhere but the classifieds . I admit I have bought from him without issue, and what I thought was a fair price. There are those guys here. If someone really does their homework, and gets a killer deal or closeout, and passes it on , and makes a couple bucks here, I have no problem with that.

Art Milaca

Never "friends and family". If they insist on it, that's a very big flag for a scam and you have no protection.

I'm always leery of a seller's request for $ via pp friends/family. There is no safeguard in place for the buyer. I too am in favor of a rating of sorts. Buying, selling, and just being decent to each other

cingras53

Pursuer of trout, stripers, grouse and turkey
In my opinion buying anything sight unseen (even with photographs) requires a good deal of trust in mankind. A seller should agree to return the purchase price if the buyer is not totally satisfied with his or her purchase. A while back I sold a very high end Hardy reel to someone on this site and he found a micro-crack in the body of the reel which I thought was a long fine scratch. It turned out to be a manufacturing defect in the stamping process that I just never noticed. I returned the purchase price with an apology and that is what you are supposed to do. You treat people like you want to be treated.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock