Jon Boat for Fly Fishing Lakes?

Dr Bob

Active Member
I am considering adding to my fleet for still water fishing and want a vessel that can handle 3-4 people. It will mostly be 2 people, but I may take my son and grandson. It needs to be a stable craft as kids don't seem to stay seated as instructed. Also it has to not be too heavy and easy to launch. I am considering a Jon boat, but am open to other suggestions. A Jon boat seems to fit my needs and it can bo powered with an electric motor on " no outboard" lake and a small outboard on larger lakes. It also provides a stable platform for casting if needed.

So any Jon boat owner, I am interested in how it works for you and how it's outfitted.

For others, any other suggestions than a Jon boat?

Thanks.
Dr Bob
 

Jonnytutu

Active Member
That's what many use in BC for lakes. 12 ft or 14ft are the most common, the 1448 is the size I want. Lots of nice mods from flooring, to anchor mounts, etc......

Fin
 

Buzzy

Active Member
Dr. Bob - "handle 3 - 4 people", "mostly be two people", "stable", "not too heavy and easy to launch". Three to four people and not too heavy; are you going to put this boat on a trailer or slide it in and out of the pickup bed? It seems to me that any boat less than say 14-feet won't handle four people (safely). And four people in a boat with a removable outboard, well, probably not a big outboard and that being said it is not going to get anywhere very fast.....

I'm heading up to BC in June. My buddy Herb bought a 10-foot welded aluminum "Marlon" (think they're built in BC), he seems to think three old guys can fit in this boat and fish. I have news for him, I will fish from my float tube on his Obsession Lake.

I guess that I'm suggesting your criteria seems pretty wide. You might need two more boats. ;-)

Good luck and keep us posted.

Pat
 

Dr Bob

Active Member
Good points Pat. I would be using a trailere for the boat. 95% of the time, this will be a 2 person boat of myself and my wife or fishing buddy. The other 5% of the time it will 3 with me, my son and my 4 yr old grandson. So I guess the number should be 2-3 people and not 3-4 people. I am not planning on fishing very large lakes so speed is not an issue. In fact, I would like some comments from those that power a 12 - 14 ft jon boat with electric and gas motors on what works for them.

Thanks.
Dr Bob
 

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

Top