Jon Boat for Fly Fishing Lakes?

Dr Bob

I am considering adding to my fleet for still water fishing and want a vessel that can handle 3-4 people. It will mostly be 2 people, but I may take my son and grandson. It needs to be a stable craft as kids don't seem to stay seated as instructed. Also it has to not be too heavy and easy to launch. I am considering a Jon boat, but am open to other suggestions. A Jon boat seems to fit my needs and it can bo powered with an electric motor on " no outboard" lake and a small outboard on larger lakes. It also provides a stable platform for casting if needed.

So any Jon boat owner, I am interested in how it works for you and how it's outfitted.

For others, any other suggestions than a Jon boat?

Thanks.
Dr Bob

Jonnytutu

That's what many use in BC for lakes. 12 ft or 14ft are the most common, the 1448 is the size I want. Lots of nice mods from flooring, to anchor mounts, etc......

Fin

Buzzy

Dr. Bob - "handle 3 - 4 people", "mostly be two people", "stable", "not too heavy and easy to launch". Three to four people and not too heavy; are you going to put this boat on a trailer or slide it in and out of the pickup bed? It seems to me that any boat less than say 14-feet won't handle four people (safely). And four people in a boat with a removable outboard, well, probably not a big outboard and that being said it is not going to get anywhere very fast.....

I'm heading up to BC in June. My buddy Herb bought a 10-foot welded aluminum "Marlon" (think they're built in BC), he seems to think three old guys can fit in this boat and fish. I have news for him, I will fish from my float tube on his Obsession Lake.

I guess that I'm suggesting your criteria seems pretty wide. You might need two more boats. ;-)

Good luck and keep us posted.

Pat

Dr Bob

Good points Pat. I would be using a trailere for the boat. 95% of the time, this will be a 2 person boat of myself and my wife or fishing buddy. The other 5% of the time it will 3 with me, my son and my 4 yr old grandson. So I guess the number should be 2-3 people and not 3-4 people. I am not planning on fishing very large lakes so speed is not an issue. In fact, I would like some comments from those that power a 12 - 14 ft jon boat with electric and gas motors on what works for them.

Thanks.
Dr Bob

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts