Kayak seat as flip seat alternative?

I'm in the process of outfitting an older PAC1400 (before the more modular nrs frame). I've done a lot of research on putting in flip seats and I'm seeing that having a non low pro/non adjustable frame is going to make the process of putting in a traditional flip seat very expensive and custom.

Reading some hunters boards they recommended just using a kayak seat on top of your cooler or dry box looped onto the rear and front cross bar. Has anyone done this? Any issues?

Any other ideas to get a stable rowing seat on a cooler or dry box if the out of the box flip seat brackets aren't an option?

Ed Call

I used an adhesive kayak seat pad on my cooler for a while. I liked it. I eventually upgraded, but still have an adhesive kayak seat pad stuck to the tractor seat style chair for my fly tying setup.

saffman

My dry box has channels spot welded to the lid that the metal bracket under the tractor seat slide into. Easy on and off when wanted and makes a great camp chair on overnighters when the dry box gets hauled up to camp. I personally don't like to sit too high and this option keeps the seat much lower than the flip brackets. I can sent you a photo or two when I get home this weekend.

Shapp

I don't use a "seat" on my 14' rowing raft rigs. I either sit on a dry box or wood bench with 1.5" foam on top. Rope seat with no back on the drift boat. I don't like having a seat back when rowing.

saffman

After major back surgery that short back tractor seat is a game changer for me. Great support for long days. I don't care for the high back ones as they limit rotation and are annoying as hell though.

Latest posts