Swap Soccer World Cup Fly Swap Interest?

Troutlife

I saw the recent March Madness swap (http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com...saltwater-fly-tournament.115356/#post-1132057) and I thought it was an interesting idea. I was wondering if anyone wanted to do a similar thing with the Soccer World Cup. However, I am less of a saltwater guy and was thinking normal trout flies. Each participant would send in 4 flies, 2 sets of 2. Each set would be assigned to a random team. Winner takes all 64 of these. However, I was thinking that there could be an additional section where people "bid" flies so that they could choose their team - up to 4 people get to choose, the highest 4 bidders, the highest bid goes first etc. These extra flies would go to whoever had the second placed team. Thoughts? Suggestions? Interest?

Thanks,
Troutlife

Troutlife

Also interested in if anyone has suggestions for how to make it more interesting because many will draw teams that have very little chance of winning

I'd like to enter as a Russian Soccer Hooligan: when all the flies have been received, I'll come over and take them. All of them. No second place crap. No bidding. Keep it simple.

Troutlife

That's fair... I was just wondering about how to make it fairer - if you get drawn as a team like Saudi Arabia or something (no disrespect to Saudi Arabia) you probably have very little chance of winning. However, if the general consensus is that you'd rather just have the luck of the draw, I would be fine with that too.

Troutlife

I saw the recent March Madness swap (http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com...saltwater-fly-tournament.115356/#post-1132057) and I thought it was an interesting idea. I was wondering if anyone wanted to do a similar thing with the Soccer World Cup. However, I am less of a saltwater guy and was thinking normal trout flies. Each participant would send in 4 flies, 2 sets of 2. Each set would be assigned to a random team. Winner takes all 64 of these. However, I was thinking that there could be an additional section where people "bid" flies so that they could choose their team - up to 4 people get to choose, the highest 4 bidders, the highest bid goes first etc. These extra flies would go to whoever had the second placed team. Thoughts? Suggestions? Interest?

Thanks,
Troutlife
Unless we are doing bidding I think... otherwise when all of the good teams are picked no one will want to join... either way, just think it would be fun to have more of these, good chances to win some flies and see some cool patterns.

steeli

Depending on how this sorts, maybe count me in. I was in that Ncaa swap too.
To be fair would think a random draw (and how that's done not sure) is the way to go.
(Maybe you or someone could setup a webex for anyone who wanted to join in i.e. selection Sunday using a random number generator)
If someone wanted to throw in more sets of flies, could get extra draws or chances.

Troutlife

So far we have... (Correct me if I misunderstood)
Ron McNeal
jersey
steeli

And it seems like a random draw is what everybody wants... I'm all good with that.

Tmik

I'm in as well. My vote would be to keep an element of randomness. So if there is a bidding system, make it for raffle tickets instead of specific teams.

Troutlife

So say we do it this way - 4 flies required to participate, 2 more for each "raffle ticket." I will draw going down the list according to these betting odds:

Germany 9/2
Brazil 9/2
France 6/1
Spain 6/1
Argentina 8/1
Belgium 10/1
England 16/1
Portugal 20/1
Uruguay 25/1
Poland 30/1
Colombia 40/1
Russia 40/1
Croatia 40/1
Mexico 60/1
Denmark 80/1
Switzerland 100/1
Sweden 100/1
Serbia 150/1
Senegal 150/1
Egypt 200/1
Iceland 200/1
Peru 200/1
Nigeria 250/1
Costa Rica 250/1
Japan 300/1
Australia 300/1
Morocco 500/1
Iran 500/1
South Korea 500/1
Tunisia 1,000/1
Panama 1,000/1
Saudi Arabia 1,000/1

When a name has been drawn 2 times, then all future drawings of the name will be disregarded.

The idea here is to get more flies to the winner, but if what everybody wants is just the simple luck of the draw I am very much happy with that.

jersey

livin' the dream
Offer can be limited to groups... And participants limited in that way

Groups chosen at random, then at least we have two solid teams for advancement

Tmik

I like that idea by @jersey. I am game to tie more flies if there is less people too. Have to check with everyone else about their feelings on that though.

Troutlife

Offer can be limited to groups... And participants limited in that way

Groups chosen at random, then at least we have two solid teams for advancement
So you are saying 8 participants, each participant gets a group, the 2 teams that advance out of that group are that participants teams? If so, sounds like a great idea. Keeps it fair but also includes luck of the draw. I'm down.

jersey

livin' the dream
Not only can we have two team advance, we will be playing teams from differing groups.
What about 2 flies per team, so we’re in for 8 bugs each? Three bugs per team is only a dozen too.

May make it a bit interesting, because if I draw Iran or Panama, I may go MIA.

Latest posts