Shipping a firearm?

I need to get my gun from my now ex-girlfriend’s house in Anchorage down to me in Seattle. It’s a Springfield XD. Has anyone shipped a gun? Do I go through a gun shop/dealer? Super easy to check it with luggage on Alaska Airlines but I don’t think I’m headed up anytime soon. Any info/help appreciated.

Jordan

Josh

dead in the water
CAVEAT: I am not a lawyer or firearms expert. My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

-------------

Short answer, go ship through a FFL holder (gun shop/dealer). Generally, shipping individual to individual across state lines is a big "NO". There is an exception for people shipping weapons to themselves in another state (for a hunting trip for example). But I'm guessing they assume that you will then ship it back to yourself (or carry it back with you). I suspect that there are no provisions for having someone other than the owner ship it to you. Even if you are the legal owner.

I think any option other than taking it to a FFL and having them ship it to you is going to place your ex (or whatever friend is trying to help you) in fairly significant legal jeopardy. It may also be possible for your ex/friend to ship the gun to a FFL holder in your area where you could then go pick it up. But that might be more complicated and I don't feel as confident that it would go well.

All in all, it might be worth a trip to your local gun shop to ask their advice on the situation.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-common-or-contract-carrier

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may...s-or-her-use-hunting-or-other-lawful-activity

I had to ship a rifle up to AK a couple weeks ago. It was $40 dollars for “paperwork” and $195 to actually ship. Maybe a pistol would be cheaper though. Just call your local FFL and they will help you out.

Didley

Ship from a licensed FFL in Alaska to another licensed FFL in Washington. The FFL in Washington is probably required to treat it like an out of state transfer/purchase, so you will likely have to do a BG check and any waiting period required by WA.

Richard gave you the correct link to the answer... You don't have to ship a firearm through an FFL if your the owner of the gun...
The FAQ says you don’t have to go through an FFL if you are shipping to yourself. The OP isn’t doing that. His ex is having to ship it to him.

It does not say anyone can ship the gun to the owner without an FFL.

I may be missing something?

Triggw

Richard gave you the correct link to the answer... You don't have to ship a firearm through an FFL if your the owner of the gun...
But he's not shipping to himself. It's his ex who's doing the shipping. I think it's question #2 that applies to his case. The answer being: "Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence."

The laws are nuanced and generally a pain in the ass. I’ve owned and transferred/sold dozens of guns. I’ve never been in the exact situation as the OP, but I would definitely urge caution.

You should always err on the side of not accidentally making you (or your ex) a felon.

The laws regarding shipping to myself don’t seem to apply. I’m gonna check with an FFL this week. If it is expensive I might just end up having her hang on to it for a while until I can have a someone fly it back with their luggage. Have a couple buddies going up for a moose hunt this fall. And I don’t really need a handgun around here... well I do live in skyway tho haha.

The laws regarding shipping to myself don’t seem to apply. I’m gonna check with an FFL this week. If it is expensive I might just end up having her hang on to it for a while until I can have a someone fly it back with their luggage. Have a couple buddies going up for a moose hunt this fall. And I don’t really need a handgun around here... well I do live in skyway tho haha.
I mean... it’s an XD...

I would just buy another gun.