Shipping a firearm?

Yeah they are like $550 new. No sense spending much getting it back. Don’t just want to give it to her tho

Transfer and shipping shouldn’t cost you much. $50 tops. If you get a stupid number from a dealer, go somewhere else.

I went in to a place that told me they wanted 10% of the gun’s value to do a transfer which is absolutely ABSURD, no matter the gun’s value. The process is the same. They receive it. They log it. They call you. They do a BG check. Then you leave (with the gun, presumably).

As far as a replacement... nothing beats a Glock, IMHO. I have largish hands and my favorite pistol is the Gen 3 Glock 19. The Gen 4 is more suitable to a variety of hand sizes, though.

And if I’m honest with myself, then the PX4 is actually the smoothest shooting pistol I’ve ever felt. It’s amazing. Unfortunately, the gun looks like a bad joke.

But he's not shipping to himself. It's his ex who's doing the shipping. I think it's question #2 that applies to his case. The answer being: "Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence."
So when i ship my gun to a gunsmith out of state for work and he sends it back it.... It goes directly to me and not an FFL.... No laws are broken

So when i ship my gun to a gunsmith out of state for work and he sends it back it.... It goes directly to me and not an FFL.... No laws are broken
Still not the same. Gunsmiths are allowed to ship it back to the person. https://johnpierceesq.com/may-a-gun...arm-they-have-repaired-directly-to-the-owner/

a firearms transaction record, Form 4473, shall not be required to record the disposition made of a firearm delivered to a licensee for the sole purpose of repair or customizing when such firearm or a replacement firearm is returned to the person from whom received.

^^
That also refers to them as a licensee.

Transfer and shipping shouldn’t cost you much. $50 tops. If you get a stupid number from a dealer, go somewhere else.

I went in to a place that told me they wanted 10% of the gun’s value to do a transfer which is absolutely ABSURD, no matter the gun’s value. The process is the same. They receive it. They log it. They call you. They do a BG check. Then you leave (with the gun, presumably).

As far as a replacement... nothing beats a Glock, IMHO. I have largish hands and my favorite pistol is the Gen 3 Glock 19. The Gen 4 is more suitable to a variety of hand sizes, though.

And if I’m honest with myself, then the PX4 is actually the smoothest shooting pistol I’ve ever felt. It’s amazing. Unfortunately, the gun looks like a bad joke.
Yep, Didley has it right. There's always someone trying to rip you off; think of it this way: if it cost $100+ to ship a gun, no one could afford to sell guns through catalogs or internet.

Still not the same. Gunsmiths are allowed to ship it back to the person. https://johnpierceesq.com/may-a-gun...arm-they-have-repaired-directly-to-the-owner/

a firearms transaction record, Form 4473, shall not be required to record the disposition made of a firearm delivered to a licensee for the sole purpose of repair or customizing when such firearm or a replacement firearm is returned to the person from whom received.

^^
That also refers to them as a licensee.
Yep, you are correct...

You do not need an FFL to ship a firearm. If you are shipping to a new owner you need a FFL on the receiving end. You do not need one on your end if you are shipping the gun to yourself. I had an FFL for over 20 years. The issue is not WHO is doing the shipping, the issue is WHO is receiving the firearm. If it has to go through an FFL (and it does not in this case), then the FFL will have you fill out a form and do a background check to see if you are legal to own a firearm. If you are shipping a pistol, it can not be sent by USPS, it needs to go by FEDEX or UPS (aka Common Carriers). I believe it has to go express shipping.

Last edited:

Latest posts