Aquatic Invasive Species permit for out of state vessels

mbowers

What is up with your government Washington? I understand the purpose of the permit for freshwater but not for saltwater and definitely not for a boat on a trailer on the Interstate just passing through that will never touch WA waters.

Any lawyers got an opinion on if it is legal to force someone just traveling through the state to pay a fee on their boat? Seems like a violation of freedom to move about the country..

https://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/ais_prevention/out_of_state_vessels.html

triploidjunkie

If you pass into the state, you're subject to it's laws. Personally, I think this is a great idea. How are they going to know if a boat is just passing through or stopping and entering the waterways? You certainly can't take person's word for it.
I guess you could always go around the state, or avoid it, like I avoid Idaho due to their draconian laws.

mbowers

law says permit is only needed if the boat is to be placed in any waterway in the state.
Do you have a link for that? Previous link specifically mentions boats on trailers being commercially transported on land are covered by commercial permit therefore private vessels must not be exempt as I read it.

"
Exempt vessels include:

Private or commercial vessels being transported over land by a commercial transporter (a permit is required by the commercial transporter only)"

mbowers

Where do WA state waters end in saltwater and federal waters start? Pretty easy 3 MI or 9 MI in Florida but can't seem to find info for WA.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Where do WA state waters end in saltwater and federal waters start? Pretty easy 3 MI or 9 MI in Florida but can't seem to find info for WA.

Click on the border line for longitude and latitude coordinates. That should give you where state waters end as far as the straits and islands are concerned.
Not sure about the big blue though.
https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/coastalatlas/tools/Map.aspx

SF

Last edited:

Bob Newman

What if the vessel will be put into a boatyard for repairs or maintenance that has a discharge to freshwater, lake, river, or estuary before the boat goes into marine waters ? The invasives then have a chance to screw up our freshwaters.

cmann886

If you pass into the state, you're subject to it's laws. Personally, I think this is a great idea. How are they going to know if a boat is just passing through or stopping and entering the waterways? You certainly can't take person's word for it.
I guess you could always go around the state, or avoid it, like I avoid Idaho due to their draconian laws.
You have me curious, which laws in ID are more draconian than WA or OR?

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing

which one don't you like ? I see the one about dating farm animals as a bit outdated !!!!

jersey

livin' the dream
What is up with your government Washington? I understand the purpose of the permit for freshwater but not for saltwater and definitely not for a boat on a trailer on the Interstate just passing through that will never touch WA waters.

Any lawyers got an opinion on if it is legal to force someone just traveling through the state to pay a fee on their boat? Seems like a violation of freedom to move about the country..

https://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/ais_prevention/out_of_state_vessels.html

Legislating utopia.

However, I don’t see where the link states any concern about traveling through. Only addresses operating and at that time the need for a prevention permit.

Snopro

You have me curious, which laws in ID are more draconian than WA or OR?
I'm not sure what they were referring to, but I do know the way some ID counties deal with Cannabis is heavy handed compared to WA or OR.

Back to the OP, it only applies to registered out of state watercraft, so OR kayaks and SUPs fishing in WA don't need them?

cmann886

I'm not sure what they were referring to, but I do know the way some ID counties deal with Cannabis is heavy handed compared to WA or OR.

Back to the OP, it only applies to registered out of state watercraft, so OR kayaks and SUPs fishing in WA don't need them?
I am reasonably sure it’s not legal in ID. Still against U. S. Law.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts