Anyone else sick of casting skagits....

Tim Ihle

by this time of year I’m just about done with skagits and stink tips - sick of it! I’ve had all I can take and am ready for the dry line. How long must we wait!

After a couple years of going down the switch or 3D skagit s I totally burned out on stripping in 50’ of line every cast. I put them all away and only fished a WA45 or Delta this year. Way more enjoyable and no drop off in fish caught.

That said as we transition from cold and low winter flows I’m expecting a couple months of high dirty runoff that will get me back on short lines and fuzzy flies. Then it’s 6-8 months of floaters and dry flies.

They suck. Don't get me wrong I fished them and they got the job done. Made the transition to FF 45 and RIO 3D F/H/I scandi line. 15 Intouch tips Type 3/6 and with maxima tippet you are at 60Ft without shooting any line on FF and 55ft with Rio line. I get down plenty with these setups without shooting a ton of line. Check them out for yourself. Good luck

Tim Ihle

They suck. Don't get me wrong I fished them and they got the job done. Made the transition to FF 45 and RIO 3D F/H/I scandi line. 15 Intouch tips Type 3/6 and with maxima tippet you are at 60Ft without shooting any line on FF and 55ft with Rio line. I get down plenty with these setups without shooting a ton of line. Check them out for yourself. Good luck
I agree. Simply put they suck. They are on odd occasion tolerable but generally I hate slinging these things around. But effective they are.

Last edited:

Klickrolf

You don't ever need a Skagit head to get deep, there are many techniques, staying deep is impossible if you're actually fly fishing (unless you're releasing line as you mend). I've never understood why anyone would want to strip in 50' of line before casting again, that means you spend time stripping when your fly should be on the swing.

You don't ever need a Skagit head to get deep, there are many techniques, staying deep is impossible if you're actually fly fishing (unless you're releasing line as you mend). I've never understood why anyone would want to strip in 50' of line before casting again, that means you spend time stripping when your fly should be on the swing.
Fish the opposite side of your home run and say that.

I only know how to do Skagit style casts and not really very well. Are these longer lines more challenging to cast? Do you have to use different casts?

Tim Ihle

I primarily use the skagit not for going good and deep but instead because I’m fishing in confined areas with bushes and low overhang, the places long bellies have no business being there.

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
I don’t hate casting Skagit’s. They let me fish where fish are. I rather enjoy getting creative while fishing around trees, rocks and shrubs. So often the fish caught in the winter are in hard to fish places. The Skagit’s are great tools. I also fish a lot of runs where I am only casting 10-20 feet of running line.
Summer fish and floating lines are joyous though. When it smells like summer it makes you want to use a floater. I’m just happy to have a place to fish these days. Any line will do.
Go Sox,
Cds

Latest posts