Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
0402182134~2.jpg
0403181404_HDR.jpg
0403181120_HDR.jpg
0403181120b.jpg
0403181121.jpg
0414181347b.jpg

On a pure fluke this camper dropped into my lap. I was looking at another tent when this literally popped up on my feed. $220 for the tent, $300 for this. No brainer. Plus it's pretty much same age as my truck. So fits perfectly into bed of pickup. Has good storage, a king size bed above and a twin when you fold down table.

The online ad pictures didn't do camper justice. It's very clean and in decent shape for being a 1994. Had a few fixes. Missing a hydraulic lift missing on one side, a bad ground, and front leaked due to a ripple in aluminum. Sealed up leak and put new ground. Everything is working perfectly. Haven't ordered new hydraulic yet. Pretty much everything else I want to do is purely cosmetic or upgrade. It was missing the door stopper/holder so bought one of those.

Cosmetic I want to put new curtains in. Add actual cushions on seats to match.

Upgrades. Already switched out all the lights with LED. Ground was easy. Old lights brightened up immediately. Still swapped them all out for LED. Previous owner added a car lighter socket. I'll use that for now until I add a panel that has two plugs and two dual USB ports. I was going to do solar and two 12v deep cycle batteries. Customer on my route talked me out of it quick. A more self contained system. 2 6v batteries and an energy cell system that will recharge those batteries at time intervals I select. Runs off a solution that loads into a tank that looks like a 1 gallon milk jug and only leaves water as exhaust. Will wire this system into the cubbies in bed of truck. It came with the original rear canopy . It's a pain to roll up perfectly to fit back into it's bed pocket. Plus a pain to slide into the track by yourself. Once installed easy for one person to pop up. I'm thinking of making a quick disconnect system where I can leave tarp on its track and just roll up and clip into place. But wasn't too tough to do on my own. Just easier is always better.

I actually used camper for 4 days. Heated up easily with my Mr Buddy heater. Will eventually plumb it for a 5 gallon tank in bed in the other cubbie. We slept two big adults in upper bunk and one on the converted table. We slept VERY comfortably in fact. I'm going to make a conversion piece of wood and can make the twin almost a queen. I'll make the cushions the extra mattress. Like a standard goucho. I could actually sleep up to 5 super cozy. But will try to keep it down to 3.

Looking forward to using this more. Will tweak as things come along.

Man, I’m looking at close to $400 just to redo the seals on my hydraulic jacks. Well done!

I’ll admit to being a bit of a pansy about my Mr Buddy heater in my regular shell. Are you worried about CO2? I’m not really clear on what is cool and what isn’t.

Kick ass fish rig.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
Man, I’m looking at close to $400 just to redo the seals on my hydraulic jacks. Well done!

I’ll admit to being a bit of a pansy about my Mr Buddy heater in my regular shell. Are you worried about CO2? I’m not really clear on what is cool and what isn’t.

Kick ass fish rig.
They literally put brand new Rieco Jack's on all 4 corners 6 years ago .

I'm running the indoor safe version with shut off. I've used it in my tent for years. Just make sure you're using the indoor safe model and you'll be fine.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
Would like to know more about the energy system; sounds like a great idea.
Perfect rig!
Once I know more I'll let you know. Have a few friends interested as well.

Can't beat that for a couple hundred bucks!

I'm excited because I've already paid for one of these - it should be ready for pickup mid to late June.

https://www.gofastcampers.com/

It's not as fancy as your rig but it's super convenient. I plan to keep it on all the time. Just replacing my canopy with it.
Nothing wrong with that. Once we buya one ton pickup I'll bolt this permanently onto my truck.

creekx

spent spinner
Nice! I had a Roamin' Chariot from about 1994 to 2013. Fished all over ID/MT/WY with it. Was a great fishing setup. Brings back a ton of memories. Sold it because (a) I have too much stuff and (b) was not family friendly.

Something to watch for: The pneumatic arms that assist in lifting the roof exert a lot of force on the roof when in the closed position. In effect they are always pushing the roof backwards. On mine this force separated the front hinge from the body, creating a gap that leaked. I repaired it by pulling off the interior paneling and thru-bolting the hinge to the body. Also caulked the $%^& out of it.

View attachment 168041 View attachment 168042 View attachment 168043 View attachment 168044 View attachment 168046 View attachment 168047

On a pure fluke this camper dropped into my lap. I was looking at another tent when this literally popped up on my feed. $220 for the tent, $300 for this. No brainer. Plus it's pretty much same age as my truck. So fits perfectly into bed of pickup. Has good storage, a king size bed above and a twin when you fold down table.

The online ad pictures didn't do camper justice. It's very clean and in decent shape for being a 1994. Had a few fixes. Missing a hydraulic lift missing on one side, a bad ground, and front leaked due to a ripple in aluminum. Sealed up leak and put new ground. Everything is working perfectly. Haven't ordered new hydraulic yet. Pretty much everything else I want to do is purely cosmetic or upgrade. It was missing the door stopper/holder so bought one of those.

Cosmetic I want to put new curtains in. Add actual cushions on seats to match.

Upgrades. Already switched out all the lights with LED. Ground was easy. Old lights brightened up immediately. Still swapped them all out for LED. Previous owner added a car lighter socket. I'll use that for now until I add a panel that has two plugs and two dual USB ports. I was going to do solar and two 12v deep cycle batteries. Customer on my route talked me out of it quick. A more self contained system. 2 6v batteries and an energy cell system that will recharge those batteries at time intervals I select. Runs off a solution that loads into a tank that looks like a 1 gallon milk jug and only leaves water as exhaust. Will wire this system into the cubbies in bed of truck. It came with the original rear canopy . It's a pain to roll up perfectly to fit back into it's bed pocket. Plus a pain to slide into the track by yourself. Once installed easy for one person to pop up. I'm thinking of making a quick disconnect system where I can leave tarp on its track and just roll up and clip into place. But wasn't too tough to do on my own. Just easier is always better.

I actually used camper for 4 days. Heated up easily with my Mr Buddy heater. Will eventually plumb it for a 5 gallon tank in bed in the other cubbie. We slept two big adults in upper bunk and one on the converted table. We slept VERY comfortably in fact. I'm going to make a conversion piece of wood and can make the twin almost a queen. I'll make the cushions the extra mattress. Like a standard goucho. I could actually sleep up to 5 super cozy. But will try to keep it down to 3.

Looking forward to using this more. Will tweak as things come along.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
I figured I'd give an update.

I won't be doing the energy cell. I gave my customer all the specs on watt hours on all my appliances, including CPAP, and he thinks I won't need it. I could get 5-6 days use out of the 2 6v batteries. I have a small Honda generator. He said it's probably better to use a 110v battery charger permanently wired in. If batteries start getting low I can just crank up generator. Run tank dry and it'll be good to go for a few more days. I'll still get info on the energy cell to share with all of you. Again I'm thinking once I've bought system he'll tell me. The system he's setting up is cheaper than the energy cell system. I'll also be wiring it is differently. I was going to put batteries in bed of truck, then put camper in, then hook everything up. But have a rear cubby that the batteries and charger will fit into. Plus it'll be wired into my 110v plug on outside of camper. Having batteries permanently installed, I can just plug camper in at house (on or off truck) and batteries will be kept at full charge.

I've also found that rear canopy is cool, but a pain in the ass to deal with. If my truck isn't moving during trip it's great. But if I'm mobile, launching boats or running shuttles, I'll have to take it down or off completely to move. I'll keep it, but don't think it'll be used much.

IveofIone

creekx-is that one of those Rubbermaid folding step stools you are using? It looks just like mine. Are they cool or what? Lighweight, sturdy, inexpensive and stable, I don't see how I got along without one for so long. It has taken the pain out of crawling over the bed of my pickup to get into the Crusin' Casa. I have the foldout Amp step on my truck but it is not near as useful.

Latest posts