Rattlesnake water level? Casting practice for new fly fishers

I have a couple friends interested in learning to fly fish. I'm looking for a spot to teach them how to cast while on shore that's 1) fairly close to Seattle 2) a little more nature-y than Green Lake, 3) includes some chance of catching a fish.

If Rattlesnake's water levels are low, seems like that could fit the bill. Any info on current casting room along the shore? Also open to considering other suggestions for places where new casters can flail about and maybe catch a fish.

Sir Homey

The end of the lake nearest to the parking area always has room. It is a nice grassy area where you'll often see people spreading blankets and picnicking. So...watch your back cast.

Scott Salzer

previously micro brew
I would start out on an open lawn to learn casting. Give you a lot of room and the lawn is gentle on the lawn. Once you get the casting down, or can a least get a little line out, then venture to the water. Depending on the water lever, most of the shore makes for tough casting due to the trees.

I would start out on an open lawn to learn casting. Give you a lot of room and the lawn is gentle on the lawn. Once you get the casting down, or can a least get a little line out, then venture to the water. Depending on the water lever, most of the shore makes for tough casting due to the trees.
Couldn't agree with ya more, Scotty. However, everyone says it, no one does it.

I haven't taught many but when I do it's on the grass, seated, rear to the ground.

Hit the lawn at RSL, 20 mins if you can stand it, then wander down to shore.. : )

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Long distance casting is a no brainier. Most fish are caught about 25 to 35 feet away from you Practice short distances. And placing the cast where you want it to go.

Thanks, everyone! Maybe we'll try out the Rattlesnake lawn area and hope there aren't too many people around. I think everyone's interest levels will probably be higher if they're actually on the water - I want these folks to come out a second (and third, and fourth...) time! But maybe we'll start with the basics on the grass, especially if picnic-free back-casting space is at a premium.

Interesting note about Ballinger. I've never been up there but I'll have to check it out.

Latest posts