Membership has its privileges. A journey up river.

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
The only way I know to shake off a steelhead hangover is to go rope some browns.

FB55AC8E-FB57-4514-ADAB-EE0C71C9AA72_zpsh6ajbbih.jpg

38C42C63-89D7-4C5D-91BB-911DB7424FD4_zpsbywolpib.jpg

Wade Spani

The reporter asked me why I enjoy fly fishing for steelhead. I told her cause the chicks dig it but I've been thinking more about that question. I think the ultimate reason is because it is hard.

Because its simple or at least should be. Many over-complicate it. I'm not saying easy.

Wade Spani

What's up with all the garbage? Not just at some of the access points but even the homes (or shacks) and yards were filled with junk.

And all you though you caught was that one steelhead... Well you also likely caught hepatitis changing into your waders at the primitive parking area for that run. It's gross. An organized cleanup is in order. I've been told its futile but something needs to be done or there will be gates like almost everywhere else in the state.

Last edited:

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
What was the fly ?

With pinched barb of course.

80210AE3-4E19-4CBC-A8F7-E3FDA746399D_zpso4v8ca8g.jpg

Because its simple or at least should be. Many over-complicate it. I'm not saying easy.

One thing I do like about steelheading...all you need is a couple flies, maybe a tip or two, and your rod. Yesterday while trout fishing I had three rods, (dry, nymph, streamer) boat bag, five boxes of flies, tippet, other accessories.

And all you though you caught was that one steelhead... Well you also likely caught hepatitis changing into your waders at the primitive parking area for that run. It's gross. An organized cleanup is in order. I've been told its futile but something needs to be done or there will be gates like almost everywhere else in the state.

The contrast from the garbage dump to what is at the end of the trail is spectacular. I'd suggest starting a gofundme but not sure if you really want to bring more attention to that spot.

cms829

One thing I do like about steelheading...all you need is a couple flies, maybe a tip or two, and your rod. Yesterday while trout fishing I had three rods, (dry, nymph, streamer) boat bag, five boxes of flies, tippet, other accessories.

I made the same observations the last two floats. All winter I grabbed my spey rod, and my sling pack with my tips and 2 small boxes in it.

Now that trout season has arrived, I feel like I am having a garage sale in my boat. By the time we were done loading up, I was legit pissed off that I had my second rod to stow. Although on the last two floats 99% of the time I had my trout spey in my hand. Just gotta figure out how to effectively fish dries with it.

underachiever

members only

The simplicity of swinging flies is why I enjoy it so much. Beautiful fish, I'm glad you got one!

B

bennysbuddy

Awe, the mystic ordeal to gingerly wade thru trash to get to a pristine river to slay the steel, nothing quite like it !

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
What's up with 5 guys walking into a run that already has someone in it? It barley fits 3, do you always fish with a hoard, is it really necessary to push out other people. If there is 2 cars in a spot I move on and comeback later, there was cars blocking turnarounds just so they could stand in line and wait there turn. Move on people there is other runs, thankfully the season is over.

I say gate the roads, it will keep the tweekers out and the trash from being dumped. I have walked into that run before and would do it again or just float it.

Hillbilly Redneck

wishin i was fishin
The contrast from the garbage dump to what is at the end of the trail is spectacular. I'd suggest starting a gofundme but not sure if you really want to bring more attention to that spot.

I fished this run yesterday morning for the first time this year. It was disappointing to see that last years trash had been cleaned up only to be quickly replaced.

Hopefully Wade didn't think I was crowding him! We actually had a conversation about how few people seemed to be fishing. I'd rather have company on the river than have access blocked!

My only bitch about the season are the boneheads who park right at the Mill launch by the bridge. I floated one afternoon and I could hardly turn my little Ford ranger around to back down to the river.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts