Marine Mechanic for Seattle (60 HP outboard)

seattlee

Can anyone recommend a mechanic that will come to my house and do yearly maintenance on my Mercury 60 HP outboard? I also need a battery cable repaired. Recommendations for non-mobile mechanics are ok too...got charged $500 for basically an oil change at the local Mercury dealer.

David Loy

Senior Moment
General consensus among my boating friends and myself is that of the maybe dozen options in Seattle, none are above mediocre, and at least half are below. My neighbor/friend is friends with the CSR Marine owners and uses them. I did too, got no discount (which I’m ok with) and my first winterize was excellent. The mechanic lives in Poulsbo, quit CSR, and I would assume works in Kitsap somewhere now. Don’t remember his name.
Like car mechanics, be loyal and cultivate a relationship if you find a good one, and don’t expect good AND cheap. Especially with boats, when you’ve got a trip planned, you want the damn thing to run well!
Just 2 scents.

Last edited:

Richard E

Can anyone recommend a mechanic that will come to my house and do yearly maintenance on my Mercury 60 HP outboard? I also need a battery cable repaired. Recommendations for non-mobile mechanics are ok too...got charged $500 for basically an oil change at the local Mercury dealer.
I'd love to find one, too. I have a wee 1994 Merc 25 hp electric start whose starter gave up a while back, and the OB should get a basic tune and the impeller replaced. I had a mobile guy do some work on it, but that was ten years ago. Like you, I've had some mediocre service. One dealer took in my ailing motor and charged me $60 to tell me the carb needed rebuilt, then sold me a $100 carburetor kit based on the OB serial number, with the caveat that once the package was opened it couldn't be returned. And, guess what, the kit was the wrong one once the carburetor was taken apart and the parts compared. So, a total waste of $160. Never did go back to that dealer.

Richard E

Dale at Ballard Marine Service in Ballard. Great Merc service. He also services my Yamaha after my Merc was no longer.
Hopefully the crew there now is different, but...I didn't want to call them out in my story I told here in this tread, but that's the very shop that was the subject of the story.

Last edited:

seattlee

Dale at Ballard Marine Service in Ballard. Great Merc service. He also services my Yamaha after my Merc was no longer.
$500 oil changes. I'm not really blaming them...they can't survive Ballard rents doing routine maintenance on small outboards. They need high-dollar revenue for every boat they take in that takes up a parking space in their lot. I think they are purposely steering low-dollar jobs away with their pricing (again, I don't blame them, just saying).

I've found another shop that I'm giving a try for my 3-year service (right before Merc warranty expires) and some small electrical work that I don't have the tools for and then I'll probably doing my own yearly maintenance.

Thanks to those of you who PMed me!

Latest posts