CABO to USA flight carry on rods warning. + "report".

Just wanted to share that I had two 5 pieces fly rods in my carry on bag on the flight from Cabos to USA. After X-ray gate, I was told to remove the rods, pack them and check them in. (there were some loud cursing involved- I am sorry).

NO FISHING RODS ARE ALLOWED on board FROM BAJA. It is BAJA regulation, not airlines, I was explained. No problems with flying to Cabo with short rods on board (thank god!)

Cabo airport has a kiosk where they pack such items for a $ 25 fee- no choice :-(

Alaska Air was nice, no extra charge for checking them in.

Fishing was very slow BTW at it was end of March, early, slow and windy- even guide did not to take money to take me fishing! (Tailhunter?- Thank you for honesty)
Thank you for this board members for advises!!!!
Fished two mornings only. Got some strange fish I still need to name and two small roosters (beginner's luck). Some fin but would not fly in March anymore.

Bagman

I've heard this before, the good news is I didn't hear you bitching about broken/stolen rods. I'm sure you were happy when you got home and found everything there and in only 5 pieces?

I wrapped the rods myslef (no tubes) in cardboard like dead body in carpet and it was bulletproof and airline-proof. And they also proviade good American duct tape too (that's what keep this country together!) :)
(BTW: Good think about Winston - BL5 it was- and Scott rods, is that in case you brake old favourite rod, they will rebuild you SAME rod!! NO so called "upgrade". I often hate those "upgrades" offered by other companies. . One of the reason I am Scott/Winston guy)

BN2FSH

Also, sometimes coming from Mexico they will make you check reels with lines on them, or you can strip the lines off and carry them on. Coming from Mexico I check all rods and reels. Same in Argentina.

Richard E

Also, sometimes coming from Mexico they will make you check reels with lines on them, or you can strip the lines off and carry them on. Coming from Mexico I check all rods and reels. Same in Argentina.
Yep. I’ve had that problem, albeit several years ago, where I couldn’t carry on my reel and spools, and I had to check them. The TSA agents logic was the line could be used to choke someone or tie them up. Oooooh-k, but what about belts. Never mind.

Same with flies; sometimes I can carry them on, sometimes not. If I have bare hooks, say to use wirh tube flies, those usually cause the problem.

Last edited:

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
I carried on a 2 piece8 wt and a reel with line coming back from Loreto in the Baja. They did look at the reel a couple of times. The fishing was pretty good but not on the fly gear.

Go Sox,
cds

I carried on a 2 piece8 wt and a reel with line coming back from Loreto in the Baja. They did look at the reel a couple of times. The fishing was pretty good but not on the fly gear.

Go Sox,
cds
They would not let a friend carry on a rod in February from Loreto. Our fishing was even worse: no fishing allowed in the whale watching area.

Last edited:

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
The would not let a friend carry on a rod in February from Loreto. Our fishing was even worse: no fishing allowed in the whale watching area.
Im not sure where that area is. I got a pang with a guide for 225 off the closer island. It was 300 or so for the further island. Got into some yellowtail each day. Split with another family it was affordable.
I actually even liked the guide. If you go again i can refer him.

Go sox,
Cds

We were over in the Magdalena bay area on a kayak trip. Mangrove country. I think a tourist can fish there but our trip was commercially supported, and commercial trip are regulated in the type of activities they can do.