Trip Report Carp in South Dakota

Spent this last Friday and Saturday chasing carp outside of the Black Hills in South Dakota. Typically people here in the Hills shoot them with a bow and throw them on the bank but I have a soft spot for them so I chase them on the fly and catch and release. Friday the fishing was tough. They were rooting around in submerged bushes and it was pretty calm. Didn’t get anything to the net. Today (Saturday) we had sustained winds of 22 mph with gusts up to 30 mph. Almost packed it up and went home but opted not to. Headed deep into the “South Dakota mangroves” (submerged bushes) where I found a lot of carp moving around and feeding (some were starting to display spawning behaviors so I tread carefully and avoided these fish) and scratched a couple to the net. This will probably be the only time I will make it out before I go to Alaska for the summer as I try to respect all spawning (even trash) fish Good thing about fishing in the bushes is that you only need to cast 10-15 feet which is helpful with winds like we had.

A caught one on a fly called a "carpalicious" (first picture) and one on a size 10 October caddis pattern. I spent one evening fishing a channel that leads into the lake. It was too muddy to sight fish so I fished a crawdad and another pattern that I can't remember its name (second picture). This way didn't yield any carp but I caught three walleye with it and missed maybe a half dozen other strikes that could have been carp. carp fly.jpg carp pattern.jpg

Nice, we do not have any carp locally but I hope to venture south to Montana to chase a few this summer on the Mo.... I see bead chain eyes on the first fly are those lead eyes on the second fly....

I had my first encounter with a carp and fly rod on the Mo when I was 11. Hooked one (25-30 inches maybe) fought it for around 2 minutes and it bent the hook out on me. Got me hooked. As for the flies, those are lead eyes on the second fly. I like to make sure to have some simple dry flies, unweighted, moderately weighted, and heavily weighted sinking flies and nymphs. PM if you want a run down of my box or anything, maybe some good patterns

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Nice, we do not have any carp locally but I hope to venture south to Montana to chase a few this summer on the Mo.... I see bead chain eyes on the first fly are those lead eyes on the second fly....
They are also in the Jefferson Down around Cardwell.