NFR Official 2018 Mariners Thread

nb_ken

We're 20+ games into the season. We need a real Mariners thread.

Mariners are a fun team this year. They're good. Dare I say, playoff good? Problem is, if the Mariners go to the playoffs, it will be because the AL West sends 3 teams. Could happen. Big hill, though.

In the 'Woeful' thread, folks were bitching about their pitching. It's true, their starters don't inspire a lot of confidence. But the game has changed and Jerry Dipoto has put together a 21st-century, stat-driven roster. The starting staff doesn't have to carry the team. In today's game, you want your starter to get through the lineup twice and keep the six-run innings to a minimum. This team will win a lot of games when the starters and middle relievers can keep it close through 6 innings.

And they'll do that because the Mariners offense is formidable. Best we've had since Edgar and Buener and Griffy.

One through six in the lineup is as tough as team I've seen play this year. One through five are all-stars with proven big-league numbers. And if Mitch Haniger played in LA or NY, he'd be getting Nike endorsements.

I read a stat this morning. Mariners have scored five or more runs in 12 of 26 games.

Five runs plus Nicasio in the 8th and Diaz in the 9th. That's a recipe for wins.

Edit: 13 of 27

Last edited:
Not to mention our #9 hitter had 25 home runs last year!! How many teams have that at the bottom of their line up? Definitely more hopeful about this years team than the last few years. Fingers crossed..... been surprisingly impressed with how consistent the pitching has been and our closer is on fire!!

nb_ken

I been waiting for Healy to show something. Dinger and an RBI double today. That's something. Big boy at bats from the 9 hole.

KerryS

Ignored Member
They have offense no doubt. I think they have scored 31 runs in the 4 games with the Indians so far with an inning to go. I was one of the people saying their pitching was questionable and it is. Time will tell if the bullpen is strong enough to carry a mediocre starting staff. 32 runs as Haniger just homered. They look good but when they play a complete team with excellent pitching like Houston the Mariners lose. I do agree this is an exciting team to watch and if Servais can stay out of their way and some luck the Mariners might make the playoffs.

Jojo

Sigh..... I miss the Seahawks thread. Especially with the draft and the stories about the Shaquille and Shaquem Griffin story, (which i hope dies down soon so as not to make too much hype and mess up that poor guy’s head.)

Ok, carry on with the baseball. :D

nb_ken

Sigh..... I miss the Seahawks thread. Especially with the draft and the stories about the Shaquille and Shaquem Griffin story, (which i hope dies down soon so as not to make too much hype and mess up that poor guy’s head.)

Ok, carry on with the baseball. :D
You can resurrect the Seahawks thread. Post there. I'd read it. I might even move the discussion along there. Others too..

nb_ken

Anybody know how to look up an obscure stat? I wanna know the record for the fewest decisions for a starting staff for a year.

Four, five innings for starters has become acceptable these days. Less than 5, starters are ineligible for wins, and a lot can happen with the bullpen pitching the last half of a ballgame. I predict that some team this season - maybe the Mariners - is going to have the fewest decisions by starters in history.

nb_ken

Anybody know how to look up an obscure stat? I wanna know the record for the fewest decisions for a starting staff for a year.

Four, five innings for starters has become acceptable these days. Less than 5, starters are ineligible for wins, and a lot can happen with the bullpen pitching the last half of a ballgame. I predict that some team this season - maybe the Mariners - is going to have the fewest decisions by starters in history.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I know that bullpen pitchers have screwed up a few of James Paxton's games. The guy pitches good and the bullpen throws it away.

Latest posts