NFR Official 2018 Mariners Thread

nb_ken

They wanted to take me to the game Saturday for father's day (observed), but I didn't want to deal with 48 thousand people in June. (Ask me again in the fall.)

So we went for a drive instead. Me and my wife and my daughter and the dog.

On the way home we got dinner at a Buffalo Wild Wings in, I believe, Marysville. I'd been listening to pieces of the game on radio and wanted a TV. It's father's day, dammit. They let us take the dog on the patio. That was nice of them.

Dinner done, table bused, it's about the 8th inning. Told'em I was gonna finish this beer and watch the end of the game. My wife left to walk the dog.

So me and my daughter sat there with the game on, music up, sound down.

My daughter played little league so she knows the rules and stuff, but other than that, she's indifferent bordering on hostile to TV baseball. But Saturday she started out attentive, at least. Humor the old man.

Edwin Diaz comes running out of the bullpen. I explained to her that he's what they call a closer. His job is to pitch the ninth inning and win the game. Every team has a closer, but we got the best one. Watch.

With dad doing play by play...
Strike one - ooh.
Strike two.
Changeup in the dirt. That's a good pitch with two strikes.
Strike three. Siddown.
Watch the replay. Oh ... that guy had no chance.

She was entertained. Two more Ks like that and she was convinced. Even to the untrained eye, Edwin Diaz stands out. And he put on a special show - struck out the side - for me and my daughter at a Buffalo Wild Wings in Marysville on father's day.

Edwin Diaz, thank you.

An interesting article in USAToday on how terrible baseball is becoming. I thought it was just me that thought the product was going to hell but apparently others have noticed as well. The problem? It just isn't entertaining any more. With everyone uppercutting the ball and swinging for the fences the strikeout has become the most dominant feature in games. There are now far more strikeouts than hits and lack of contact makes for a very dull game.

Even listening to baseball has become a load as guys blather on about launch angles, exit velocities and spin rates. WTF? Announcers have deteriorated to being statistics reciters and good 'ole boys that ham it up with their ex-jock sidekicks. And there are too many of them in the booth and down on the field, once they all take turns motor mouthing all continuity to the game in progress has been lost. And a freakin' pitch clock is not the answer to the problem. With guys being bigger faster and stronger the ball should be put in play more often. A hundred years ago the average ball player was probably on the order of around 5'10'' and 160-180#. Today there are 6'4'' shortstops that push 230# yet the plate is the same size it was 100 years ago. There are guys in the outfield that could easily be NFL linebackers but the money and length of career is far better in MLB>.

I'm not sure they will ever recapture the magic that was once baseball but they need to discuss some things other than limiting mound visits or initiating a pitch count. Two things I would like to see are a 2'' wider plate and electronic balls and strikes. Umpires make a helluva lot of mistakes on calls and if you contest them you are ejected. Electronic would be more accurate than an umpire that is 85# overweight and can't determine the strike zone. Having listened to all the great announcers since 1946 the current crop is hard to stomach, I just watch in silence anymore and avoid the frustration.

Shad

Not much being said about the Ms falling back to Earth with an audible thud this week, so I'll say a couple things...
The Yankees are ridiculous, almost from top to bottom. Barring half the team getting hurt or busted for PEDs, that's your 2018 World Series champion.
I think the fact the Ms were able to stay close proves they're a very good team as well; just not as good as the Yankees.
3 more against a Sox team that's almost as good as the Yankees, but with which the Ms have proven they can compete, are up next. Hoping this isn't the beginning of the perennial return to mediocrity we're all so accustomed to in Seattle. Seems like this team is too good for that, but we'll see. Should be more good baseball to watch this weekend, either way.

The T.O. Show

Buenos Hatches Ese
I wish they hadn't gotten swept, but I'm not too worried about it. This is a seriously tough stretch of games against two of the best teams in the league, and it was always going to be a struggle. As long as they can bounce back and get some of these W's back against Baltimore and KC then we should be in decent shape. If we end up playing the Yankees in the playoffs then I'll worry about that then.

KerryS

Ignored Member
Not much being said about the Ms falling back to Earth with an audible thud this week, so I'll say a couple things...
The Yankees are ridiculous, almost from top to bottom. Barring half the team getting hurt or busted for PEDs, that's your 2018 World Series champion.
I think the fact the Ms were able to stay close proves they're a very good team as well; just not as good as the Yankees.
3 more against a Sox team that's almost as good as the Yankees, but with which the Ms have proven they can compete, are up next. Hoping this isn't the beginning of the perennial return to mediocrity we're all so accustomed to in Seattle. Seems like this team is too good for that, but we'll see. Should be more good baseball to watch this weekend, either way.
I agree with your assessment of the yanks. The Mariners need at least 1 win in Boston if they get swept again...well, it was a good start but reality just set in.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I agree with your assessment of the yanks. The Mariners need at least 1 win in Boston if they get swept again...well, it was a good start but reality just set in.
Well after Boston they have 4 in Baltimore. Maybe they will start to get well there. One can only hope.

Latest posts