NFR Official 2018 Mariners Thread

nb_ken

Anybody watch the home run derby last night? I don't like the new format. Baseball doesn't have clocks. They're trying to get in as many pitches as possible, and you don't get to savor the blasts. I read Bryce Harper hit 9 home runs on 10 pitches in 50 seconds or something like that. Pop A Shot.

But, if they're gonna leave it this way, change the bonus time rules. Takes 2 mammoth shots to get 30 seconds. Three shots the other way should get 30 seconds too. Give those wiry line drive hitters a chance.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Anybody watch the home run derby last night? I don't like the new format. Baseball doesn't have clocks. They're trying to get in as many pitches as possible, and you don't get to savor the blasts. I read Bryce Harper hit 9 home runs on 10 pitches in 50 seconds or something like that. Pop A Shot.

But, if they're gonna leave it this way, change the bonus time rules. Takes 2 mammoth shots to get 30 seconds. Three shots the other way should get 30 seconds too. Give those wiry line drive hitters a chance.
It used to be the Americans against the Nationals. Not anymore. A lot of the hitters stayed away from it so it was 7 Nationals and one American.

KerryS

Ignored Member
Dipoto just gave Servais a multi year extension. He obviously sees something in him I don’t.

If they can pull themselves out of the slump they are in then I’ll agree otherwise I’m seeing the Mariners missing the playoffs, finishing behind the As and perhaps the Angels also.

KerryS

Ignored Member
A lot of us have compared LeBlanc to Jamie Moyer. Perhaps an unfair comparison but the similarities are there. He is a pitcher’s pitcher. Relies on smarts and moxie more than velocity. Another similarity to Moyer displayed in the quote below about being compared to Moyer might be humility.

“It would take a lot more of this for me to get halfway to Jamie Moyer,” LeBlanc said. “But the fact that there’s some success there that’s leading people to say that is really eye-opening and humbling, especially to sit back and step back and see where you’ve ended up from where you’ve come from.”

Shad

It's never fun to watch an extended losing streak, but last time they did this, they responded with their best winning streak.

They're still looking much better for a playoff appearance than they have for a long time. Let's not leave 'em for dead yet.

BDD

One of the more interesting statistics about the Mariners this year is their run differential. Even though they are in second place, 5 games back from the Astros, they are dead even in run differential, which is pretty unusual for a second place team. That tells me that they are either pretty lucky or pretty clutch. It seems unlikely a team will be lucky or unlucky for a full season...I guess the last half of the season will tell if they are lucky or just clutch.

I will continue to follow them, watching a few innings while working out, especially if they stay in the hunt. But if they fall back, especially around the time football season starts, I imagine I'll watch more football and less baseball (and fish even more because fall is the greatest time of year).

Last edited:

Old Man

Just an Old Man
One of the more interesting statistics about the Mariners this year is their run differential. Even though they are in second place, 5 games back from the Astros, they are dead even in run differential, which is pretty unusual for a second place team. That tells me that they are either pretty lucky or pretty clutch. It seems unlikely a team will be lucky or unlucky for a full season...I guess the last half of the season will tell if they are lucky or just clutch.

I will continue to follow them, watching a few innings while working out, especially if they stay in the hunt. But if they fall back, especially around the time football season starts, I imagine I'll watch more football and less baseball (and fish even more because fall is the greatest time of year).

Well they are a -5 now in run differential.

nb_ken

Well they are a -5 now in run differential.
Fixed that. Ryon Healy's hearing footsteps. Everybody's talking about giving his job to Cano. Even called up Voglewhatever to give Healy a taste of the pine.

What's he think about all that? Six RBI is what he thinks.

nb_ken

Dipoto just gave Servais a multi year extension. He obviously sees something in him I don’t.

If they can pull themselves out of the slump they are in then I’ll agree otherwise I’m seeing the Mariners missing the playoffs, finishing behind the As and perhaps the Angels also.
I'm not entirely sure what a baseball manager does during the game. Is there a WAR stat for managers in-game decisions? Day after day, a key base hit is way more decisive than at what point the manager decides to pull the starter.

Seems to take a Mariner manager 2 or 3 years to flame out. Servais still has time. But all those flamed-out managers, when they first got here, I was rooting for them. Maybe this is the guy. I'm still rooting for Scott Servais. Maybe this is the guy. If it turns out he needs firing, he'll get fired - contract or no. But he got the M's to 60-40 at the century mark. I'm still rooting.

Lest we forget, let's let Larry Stone of the Seattle Time remind us of Mariner life since we last made the playoffs.

"And one by one, they’ve gone, usually before you even got a chance to know them, another Mariners manager relegated to the dustbin of the post Lou Piniella era.

"Bob Melvin couldn’t manage a Boy Scout troop, one Seattle front-office executive whispered to me shortly before they let him go two seasons in (which might have surprised Melvin’s next two employers when he was named NL and AL Manager of the Year in Arizona and Oakland, respectively).

"Mike Hargrove mysteriously drove away in his red pickup truck in the middle of his third season, leaving in the midst of an eight-game winning streak. John McLaren didn’t even last a full season. Don Wakamatsu made it through two boom-and-bust years, and Eric Wedge had three lackluster seasons before a feud with general manager Jack Zduriencik did him in. Wedge’s successor, Lloyd McClendon, got the ax two years later, shortly after Zduriencik did."

Latest posts