NFR Black River Canoe Trip Rochester

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
I have gone thru the regs to find and mark streams in areas i work that may be good for wet wading with a 2 wt. My delorms map is almost completely marked and ready for summer. I came accross this what appears to be a gem of a float by canoe, the black river. Not sure the fishing is stellar, looks like lots of frog water, but the float looks fun

http://blackrivercanoe.com/

http://www.thurstontalk.com/2017/08/25/black-river-canoe/

Has anyone floated and or fished it? I think it may be fun to take my wife son out in my old childhood 18 ft aluminum canoe for a days adventure

bakerite

I did it years ago with my wife in a mad river explorer. Great float! There might be some bass in there and maybe cutts in the fall. I don't know if it is open, but didn't catch any fish when I floated it.

Greg Armstrong

This is an old post, but it brought back a great memory there of rowing a little wooden skiff I had with my wife and kids decades ago.
It’s was a nice quiet little spot at the time to get a nature fix.

We didn’t fish, so I can’t comment about that. It did look kind of “Bassy” as I recall.

Bruce Baker

I have fished the river a few times. I have caught bass, cutthroat, northern pikeminnow, and I think I may have hooked a yellow perch, but it came off before I could get it close enough to the canoe for an ID.

Pretty fun to catch a 1-2 pound largemouth on trout gear. Also, very surprised to catch them on a size 1 Blue Fox spinner.

SquatchinSince86

I have fished the river a few times. I have caught bass, cutthroat, northern pikeminnow, and I think I may have hooked a yellow perch, but it came off before I could get it close enough to the canoe for an ID.

Pretty fun to catch a 1-2 pound largemouth on trout gear. Also, very surprised to catch them on a size 1 Blue Fox spinner.
I was thinking about taking my pontoon down there this summer. Do you recall any spots where you can pull over and relax riverside?

Bruce Baker

I was thinking about taking my pontoon down there this summer. Do you recall any spots where you can pull over and relax riverside?
Good question. I have launched from all 3 sites. I do not recall seeing any places where you can get out and exercise your legs or set up some chairs for lunch or snacks, except perhaps in the vicinity of Black River Canoe Trips. Some sections of the river are pretty skinny and most sections vegetaton right up to the river. So in the "traditional" sense ((Cowlitz for example) sand bars, super shallow areas), I would say no. But I think there some sections that you could probably get close to shore and anchor. I was looking at the river in Google maps, did not realize that it looks like a canal in some sections. But probably upstream of the primitive launch (and BRCT), would be your best bet.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts