Cedar River 2018

Had an interesting encounter on the river tonight above cedar grove bridge. Walked into a spot I like to fish and there were literally four rods in holders fishing bait. Young kids early 20's. Took pics and informed it's illegal to fish bait. They politely picked up and left. Headed down to a pool called clay bank I have fished since I was 8yrs. As I approached the pool there were people putting something into buckets? Three guys with three rotwiellers and a Shepard. The dogs came at me but stopped short. The owners informed me I was trespassing which I replied I'm standing in the river I'm below the high water mark.

The presumed owner of the property claimed he owned the bottom of the river. And he could not allow me to fish through today or any other day because of the dogs. I informed him his liability with his dogs was not my problem.

Evidently a week ago he confronted another Fisher who lunged at him with a fire arm. So he claims.

My question to all of you who fish the river is it still access below high water mark? I filed a report with the sheriff and he had no idea. He said call WDFW.
I've heard more than once of landowners on the Cedar poaching trout so it wouldn't surprise me if they were loading some trout into buckets. I am so sick of these land grabbers thinking they own the river. IMO there should be no property along any waterway in this state, property should have to be set certain distances so everyone can access and enjoy the river.

Last edited:

seattlee

My question to all of you who fish the river is it still access below high water mark? I filed a report with the sheriff and he had no idea. He said call WDFW.
I believe since the Cedar is a "navigable waterway," you can wade in the river under federal law. The State of Washington has deeded land in both rivers and beaches that are probably in violation of federal law so it seems it is a grey area.

When I'm wading a river or a ocean beach and a landowner tells me I'm trespassing, I politely say that I can be here as long as I'm standing in the water. If they insist I am still trespassing, I ask them where their property line is and I move off their land (staying in the water the whole time) and just move to their neighbors "property." If they truly own the bottom of a river or tidelands, snagging bottom with your sinker would be "trespassing," which is ridiculous.

It's probably not worth getting into a legal discussion since even the Courts are unclear on this, but I believe that the public should be able to wade beaches and streams so I just do it and tell everyone its the law :)

Interesting article: http://www.fishjournal.org/fishing_access.html

The last few times I’ve been on the cedar I’ve seen some sketchy people. It kind of ruins the fun when you spend your time hoping your car doesn’t get broken into instead of fishing. I’ve definitely fished the cedar a lot less this season because of it. Kind of a shame...

This is true, but most who claim to own the river bottom actually don't. It's worth the risk IMO. Worst case scenario would be having a trespassing conviction on my "Permanent Record."
I totally agree. On researching that piece of land its became really difficult to get a straight answer. WDFW says its high water mark but there are exceptions? What are those exceptions ? Were not really sure. I'll keep researching and get to the bottom of it. The guy who owns the property is a nut job. He admits that his dogs are aggressive and could possibly bite someone while trespassing on his property while walking down the edge of the river.

Obviously he's a fucking idiot! Most rational humans would not allow aggressive dogs loose on a river that receives a high amount of traffic from floaters and fishers. It's a huge liability. Not to mention your risking your dogs lives, if one of these people decides to put a bullet in one of your aggressive dogs. Which sounds horrible but it's a possibility if the right person felt his life was threatened. Personally I was not threatened by the dogs. Two fat ass rotwiellers and an old shepard.

If any of you fish that section keep an eye out.

LOL. Was waiting to see how long it would take for this to go this way. In all seriousness it definitely surprised me when its head popped out of the water on the other side of the river from me, got some cool video of it and my son who was with me was very excited to watch it swim and navigate the river.

The Cedar is considered navigable from the mouth to the railroad bridge a little over a mile up river of the mouth. That is what's listed at any rate.

The river above the bridge is not legally designated as navigable and does not fall under Federal law.

Dave

Had an interesting encounter on the river tonight above cedar grove bridge. Walked into a spot I like to fish and there were literally four rods in holders fishing bait. Young kids early 20's. Took pics and informed it's illegal to fish bait. They politely picked up and left. Headed down to a pool called clay bank I have fished since I was 8yrs. As I approached the pool there were people putting something into buckets? Three guys with three rotwiellers and a Shepard. The dogs came at me but stopped short. The owners informed me I was trespassing which I replied I'm standing in the river I'm below the high water mark.

The presumed owner of the property claimed he owned the bottom of the river. And he could not allow me to fish through today or any other day because of the dogs. I informed him his liability with his dogs was not my problem.

Evidently a week ago he confronted another Fisher who lunged at him with a fire arm. So he claims.

I'm pretty sure I know which property you're talking about. If its the one I'm thinking about I ran into this new property owner in June. He's a big bald dude (bouncer-looking type) with two Rottweilers. They bought the property in November 2017, so this is their first experience with the Cedar River fishing season. Its actually in his wife's name. I've fished this spot in the past. This time there were multiple NO TRESPASSING signs along the water's edge. I decided to take a chance any way and I stayed in the water as much as possible. Fished the hole and started wading back down the slow water with fly floating when a large rock landed by my fly. I didn't notice him standing behind the grass on his little beach (which I left no tracks on). He didn't say anything at first. I cast one more time and another rock came in. I started to real in my line thinking "is this really happening?"(nothing said by either of us yet) when another rock splashed in front (I think he thought I was still fishing). Finally, he said "you know you're trespassing". I said "where is the line?" He said that WDFW folks had been to his property and agreed that because the water is not navigable that he has the right to close off foot traffic/waders. Said he owns across the river. He said that another fisherman "came at him". And that his Rottweilers were only nice because he was standing there. His black lab did come up and get a pet from me before His wife called the lab back. I played it pretty cool to keep it non-confrontational on my part. He said if I had come up to his front door and asked permission originally, then he would have let me fish there. He let a neighbor kid fish there who asked him, but told the kid you can't keep the fish. I told him its a 3 month season, catch and release single barb, artificial etc. He made some uninformed remarks about waders destroying salmon nests and causing erosion, lol. I commented that it was probably frustrating for him to find all sorts of trash left by unresponsible parties to which he agreed. He asked if I had caught any fish and also if I had parked at that certain spot down the road. I only answered about the fish. There was a little spot of deep water in front of me and I asked if he was going to make me wade through it or let me walk on his land (for 20 feet) to leave. He only replied that he and his wife were going to leave with their dogs. They left and I waded back down the river. I looked up the owner information and found out that she was previously married to an ex-manager for the Colacurcio family. Enough said on that.

I'm pretty sure I know which property you're talking about. If its the one I'm thinking about I ran into this new property owner in June. He's a big bald dude (bouncer-looking type) with two Rottweilers. They bought the property in November 2017, so this is their first experience with the Cedar River fishing season. Its actually in his wife's name. I've fished this spot in the past. This time there were multiple NO TRESPASSING signs along the water's edge. I decided to take a chance any way and I stayed in the water as much as possible. Fished the hole and started wading back down the slow water with fly floating when a large rock landed by my fly. I didn't notice him standing behind the grass on his little beach (which I left no tracks on). He didn't say anything at first. I cast one more time and another rock came in. I started to real in my line thinking "is this really happening?"(nothing said by either of us yet) when another rock splashed in front (I think he thought I was still fishing). Finally, he said "you know you're trespassing". I said "where is the line?" He said that WDFW folks had been to his property and agreed that because the water is not navigable that he has the right to close off foot traffic/waders. Said he owns across the river. He said that another fisherman "came at him". And that his Rottweilers were only nice because he was standing there. His black lab did come up and get a pet from me before His wife called the lab back. I played it pretty cool to keep it non-confrontational on my part. He said if I had come up to his front door and asked permission originally, then he would have let me fish there. He let a neighbor kid fish there who asked him, but told the kid you can't keep the fish. I told him its a 3 month season, catch and release single barb, artificial etc. He made some uninformed remarks about waders destroying salmon nests and causing erosion, lol. I commented that it was probably frustrating for him to find all sorts of trash left by unresponsible parties to which he agreed. He asked if I had caught any fish and also if I had parked at that certain spot down the road. I only answered about the fish. There was a little spot of deep water in front of me and I asked if he was going to make me wade through it or let me walk on his land (for 20 feet) to leave. He only replied that he and his wife were going to leave with their dogs. They left and I waded back down the river. I looked up the owner information and found out that she was previously married to an ex-manager for the Colacurcio family. Enough said on that.
That’s a first post with some meat on it.

Well I wrapped up my last trip to the Cedar for the season tonight. Had a few small strikes on a dry but hard work.

Had one of my best seasons on this river with many nice legendary urban bruisers landed and lost. Also had fun seeing @Kfish land some of his best and lose some big ones too.

Met lots of new friends and had great times. A few weirdos of course, including one dude get about 4" from my face with clenched fists circling and following me around harassing me. Yup it's a fine urban blue line :)

Last edited:

Latest posts