Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cedar River 2018

32K views 227 replies 52 participants last post by  Salmo_g 
#1 ·
It’s about four weeks away. Anyone else getting pumped for it? I know I am.

#41 ·
Going to get lost looking for the owyhee in Idaho.....
The Owyhee is awesome! there is some great fishing in there. If the river isn't to cloudy make sure you spend a day hunting some giant browns from the shore down river from the high fish count water. Catching 30+ rainbows and browns that range from 16" to 28" is excellent... But, Hunting a 10+lb brown patrolling the shore down river a little ways is the shiznit IMHO

#53 ·
Well it was a rather typical night on the Seedy tonight. A strung out looking fellow pointing out every sucker fish in the pocket telling me "there over here man". The next strung out fellow told me how he feels it is his right to fish the river year round, and gets his King every year. He said he caught a fat 20" rainbow right over there, "released it" he said. Since he was such a regulation abiding fellow I kindly nodded my head and went about my business, after all I had a free local guide of the river pointing out all the suckers next to me. To end the night a charming couple hunched in a bench area hitting some type of heavy drug from a tin foil pipe. Ahhhh, the Cedar.

#60 ·
man I was going to check it this weekend since I've never fished it, but I'm now I'm thinking not. I fly fish for trout to be in beautiful places and relax, not just to catch fish and certainly have no desire to see bums and tweakers while fishing, let alone having to worry about my car. back to the mountains I go.

#67 ·
Well the alternative fishery on the Cedar is actually quite entertaining. There are some very large abundant suckers in certain runs, and it turns out euro nymphing them is a hoot. While they do not fight as hard as a supercharged cedar rainbow, they do hit a few good deep hard runs. Ugly as hell but anything on the fly can be fun. Hooked many tonight to provide enough cheap thrills on the 4wt. Saw some nice trout feeding top but no takers.

#68 ·
Took off work at 3:30 and hit it for the first time tonight. Traffic was hellacious getting out, but that just makes stepping in to the river that much better.

Caught some small guys on drys. Largest was around 12 inches but felt like 15. I feel like the cedar fish always have some extra fight.

Saw someone getting out of their waders on the highway on my way out around 10 when it was full dark.

#69 ·
Took off work at 3:30 and hit it for the first time tonight. Traffic was hellacious getting out, but that just makes stepping in to the river that much better.

Caught some small guys on drys. Largest was around 12 inches but felt like 15. I feel like the cedar fish always have some extra fight.

Saw someone getting out of their waders on the highway on my way out around 10 when it was full dark.
The Cedar trout are some of the hardest fighting trout I've ever landed. Especially when they get in the 18"+ range..

#76 ·
This is has been happening to me more than usual, but I have managed to land some decent fish thus far.

The little guy in the picture above though....he just wouldn't let go. He cleared the water 3 or 4 times but couldn't spit the hook. I tried to get him to LDR, put some slack in the line, but he was still there. In a couple more years I expect him to be the boss of my favorite little run out there.

#87 ·
So, I was just checking the new regulations for the Cedar River. Did these change?

It seems like the season opens earlier now, Saturday before Memorial Day instead of the first week of June. Also it looks like you can keep trout, except CUTTHROAT and wild RAINBOW TROUT. So are they stocking the Cedar now? This just seems to make the rules even more confusing.

Cedar River - King Co. from mouth to Landsburg Rd. Bridge (RM 21.5)
ALL SPECIES Night closure. Internal combustion motors prohibited. Selective gear rules.
TROUT Sat. before Memorial Day-Aug. 31 Statewide min. size/daily limit, except release CUTTHROAT TROUT and wild RAINBOW TROUT.
OTHER GAME FISH Sat. before Memorial Day-Aug. 31 Statewide min. size/daily limit.

#88 ·
WDFW hasn't stocked local rivers and streams with trout for years and I don't believe they have any intentions to start. The only trout in the Cedar are Rainbow and Cutthroat so basically it's still catch and release. If you look through the whole new regulation pamphlet, you'll see that "release CUTTHROAT TROUT and wild RAINBOW TROUT" is in there just about everywhere now. While I've never seen one I suppose there could be a Brook Trout in the Cedar and if you wanted to, you could keep those.

#90 ·
While I suppose you could catch the rainbow trout that were stocked in Lake Washington and decided to swim up the Cedar, I think it makes the regulations a lot harder to understand. Like Elliott5400 said, it now gives people more of an excuse than they had before, and from what I've encountered people will try to use every gray area as a loophole.

#92 ·
Trout stocked in Lake Washington....of which there are none anyway, but if there were....wouldn't be marked in any way so basically you're looking at a "wild" rainbow and you can't keep them. Again, look at the regulations and you will see that release notation in hundreds of rivers, not just the Cedar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.