DIY/ Homemade Rod Tube

scifidelity

Hey folks. This may be really obvious to some of you, but I recently purchased a used spey rod that did not come with a rod tube. After calling sage and hearing that they wanted $80 for the tube, I started thinking about ways I could make my own. I landed on PVC! Yes, it's a bit heavy. Anyway, I wanted to share my rough plans and steps so others can do this. It cost me about $30 total, including the glue and primer that I can re-use next time. You will have a hard time finding the 2.5" PVC and fitting as it not a common diameter for normal/ intended applications. I think the only use is some drainage from a certain type of heating unit. Try plumbing specialty stores. Yes, I know cabela's and other discount manufacturers make generic rod tubes for $20 or so, but this is a bomb proof holder and a fun project.

parts/ supplies:

-length of 2.5" PVC. (start by measuring an existing tube you have have that you know the rod you plan to use the case for will fit.)
-2.5" PVC closed end cap
-2.5" Female adapter with a female (fipt) socket on one side and a slip socket on the opposing side. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D4WULIQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
-2.5" PVC clean out screw in plug meant for closing the end of a cleanout adapter. Male NPT threads for connecting to female threaded pipes
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009H423RS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
-pvc purple primer
-pvc blue glue
-contact cement (optional to glue padding on to PVC)
-random pieces of closed cell foam 2" thick (optional but highly recommend top and bottom padding)
-grill mat (goes under grills) (optional side padding) this is essentially waterproof heavy felt.
-400 grit ebony/ sand paper
-utility or para cord
-fishing coating of your choice (optional)

Instructions:
-sand of grind cut edges of PVC pipe. There will be flanges from the cutting process, this will prevent the end pieces from seating well. I chamfered mine with a dremel tool and mini grinding wheel.
-sand sides of pipe near ends and inside of end cap fittings.
-if using the grill mat and foam padding, cut pieces of foam to fit in close end cap, glue in with contact cement. Then cut grill mat to correct length of rod tube and inside circumference. This will take some trial and error. Contact cement it in just at either end.
-Prime then glue closed end cap and female adapter socket slip socket side. follow normal PVC primer and gluing instructions. If you've not done this, watch a youtube on it, there is a specific procedure.
-drill hole through side of square wrench head on clean out plug (diameter of bit should match the diameter of your para cord.
-slip cord through both holes/ sides. tie knot in one end to hold it place. tap other side of cord to side of female socket adapter.
-let dry for a day
-coat with your choice of coating. you could of course leave it as PVC, but where's the fun in that? I actually used alternative red and white duct tape and wrapped it around and down on an angle to make mine like a huge candy cane. Fly fishing bro patagonia and yeti stickers would also work.

Roper

Idiot Savant
WFF Supporter
Been there and done that, the wife also sewed up a rod sock if you are building your own rods...

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I did that for 2 4 piece rods that I have, but I used 2" inside diameter tubes. One end cap I glued on and the other end is the smooth end. I keep them all in a lock box in the back of my pickup with the canopy on it. Which also locks..
Very simple to make and bomb proof.

Anybody with a half a brain should be able to figure it out.:p:p

PhilR

I made one with pvc pipe. Then I sanded it and scraped the heck out of it with a wood rasp. Then more sanding, wood stain, and varnish. And now I have a wood grain pvc rod tube.

Chic Worthing

WFF Supporter
There are a number of different wall thicknesses of PVC Pipe with schedule 40 being the thickest and consequently the heaviest. Use a thinner side wall and you will be much happier with the result.

scifidelity

There are a number of different wall thicknesses of PVC Pipe with schedule 40 being the thickest and consequently the heaviest. Use a thinner side wall and you will be much happier with the result.
Yes, of course, all I could find in 2.5" was schedule 40, and that was very difficult to find. I called 5 pluming supply stores.

D

dld

Apologies for picking nits here, but schedule 40 is not the heaviest, in fact, it is considered the normal and is what is mostly stocked at hardware stores. Schedule 80 is generally readily available, and schedule 120 exists.

Other plastic tubes exist, including fiberglass, ABS, Nylon, vulcanized fiber, and polycarbonate. A place like TAP Plastics generally carries a wide selection. McMaster-Carr is a good online resource for parts and quick information about the material properties.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I have a 100 year old what I believe is lacewood flyrod(no markings)...I decided to find a hunk of timber bamboo to fashion a case for it...Looking for the right brass strap hinges for it to hinge it...I split the bamboo lengewise(3+ inches in diameter)and intend to cap the ends with bamboo corm walls...inside I will line with velour...I have some lined velour to adhere inside the halves with a paint on fabric adhesive...it is a work in progress...no pics yet...but this all will be worked out eventually and i will post what I am doing...

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts